Chapter 36.

"I look like I'm wearing a garbage bag," Iris groans, standing in front of the full-length mirror in the fitting room.

We're on our second stop at another boutique. This one is on the town's edge and has a lot more options to pick from.

"How does it look so good on you?" She huffs with her gaze pointed at Maya, who indeed looks very nice.

Maya shrugs, turning her attention back to her phone.

"Okay, Aunt Macy, I know you said that you want us to all wear the same dresses, but could we maybe compromise-"

"-No," Mom says, cutting her off. "Keep looking, gorgeous. We have lots of time."

Grandma walks in with another handful of dresses we try on, and Iris dislikes every single one. Not a surprise. Shopping with her is my waking nightmare.

It's almost noon, and everyone is hungry, so we decide to stop at Olive Garden for lunch.

On the way back to the van, I text Grayson.

Layla: We're heading to Olive Garden now.

His text back comes through as I take my seat.

Grayson: I assume that means no luck on a bridesmaid's dress?

Layla: Not yet. With Iris as our approver, it could honestly take years.

Grayson: Hah. Good luck. I'll see you in Olive Garden.

Layla: ???

Grayson: Kade is hungry. Don't worry. I'll keep a reasonable distance.

Layla: Please, don't.

Grayson: You missing me already, Hands?

Layla: Yes.

I lock my screen and slip my phone into my pocket. When I turn to look at Iris, she's smiling, typing away on her phone too.

"Baker?" I ask.

She nods. "He said every single dress I sent him looked amazing."

"Because it did. Everything looks good on you."

She tilts her head, her smile growing. "My little cousin is so kind."

I laugh and shake my head.

The waiter greets us inside the restaurant and asks how many we are before seating us at a big table. The six of us sit down and peruse our menus.

From across the restaurant, I see Grayson and Kade walk in. Kade looks like his usual self, flashing me his smile. Grayson has a cap over his head, so I can't see his face very well.

The same waitress seats them down in a booth on the other side of the restaurant. My phone buzzes in my lap.

Grayson: Hi.

I silently laugh.

Layla: Hey.

Grayson: Restroom?

I can't help but feel the butterflies in my stomach. I watch him get up and walk away toward a hallway before he's out of my line of vision.

"I'm going to use the restroom. I'll be back," I say to the table.

"Don't you want to order?" Mom asks me.

I slide my menu to the middle of the table. "Just order me whatever. I don't mind."

I follow Grayson to the hallway he just went through. The lights are dim here, and there are three doors, a women's restroom, a men's restroom, and another door, which I assume must be a closet of some sort.