Chapter 31.

Grandpa and Grayson are back.

Hale and my mom are on their way to the airport to get them. Meanwhile, Iris is in my room getting ready for her date with Baker later.

"A little bird told me Ty Bennet is going to ask you out the next time he sees you."

"I'm not interested in Ty like that," I say, surfing through the movies on Netflix from my bed. I'm in the mood for an action movie tonight.

Iris turns around from my vanity, staring at me. "Okay, seriously, what's going on with you?"

"I kissed Grayson," I blurt out before I even have the chance to think about it. There. I've said it. It's out there.

"What?"

"Yeah. I kissed him. I mean, we kissed. Two times. Unless you count that time in the kitchen, it would be three times. But ... it's not a big deal ... right?

Iris's jaw is on the floor, and her eyes are wide open, but she recovers quickly. "I knew it. You can just feel something going on between you two when you're both in the same room. No way that guy has been living in this house with you, and he hasn't seen your chonies yet. I don't blame you, Layla. It's hard to resist when he looks like that."

"Oh my god, Iris!" I laugh. "No. We just kissed. That's it. Nothing else."

A genuine smile passes over her lips. "So ... Grayson, huh? How do you think your mom will feel about that?"

It feels relieving to talk about all of this with someone finally.

"I don't know," I shrug. "I told him I'd be his friend, and that's it. But ... these past few days ... I've missed him."

I've missed him a lot. He's been gone two days and three nights, and I've felt every second of his absence. And I've tried to fight it. I've tried not to feel it, but it's hopeless.

"You know I will tell you to go for it if that's what your heart wants."

"I know. But ... it's just all ... confusing."

She gives me a knowing look and turns around to continue doing her makeup. "I can't believe you kissed him. That's not like you at all."

I cover my face with my hands. "I know."

We both hear the door shut downstairs.

"Well," Iris smiles, getting up from my vanity. "That's probably them. Keep me updated, okay? I want all the details."

"There will be no details."

She looks at me suspiciously. "Yeah. Okay."

We make our way downstairs. Iris hugs Grandpa in the foyer and slips out of the house. Grayson isn't here. Grandpa sets the bags down and then notices me.

"Laylabug."

I smile and cross the foyer. He welcomes me in his arms.

"Grandma wanted to show everyone the new flowers she planted," Grandpa explains, opening the front door. "They're all outside."

When I step outside behind Grandpa, the sun is setting, dipping below the horizon. Pink and yellow gleams paint the sky, and a slight breeze drifts through my hair, warm, kissing my skin as it passes.

Grayson stands at the edge of the porch, resting his forearms on the wooden railing. His eyes meet mine, and his mouth curves slightly. My body relaxes when I see him, and I realize it's a feeling of relief.

"I made your favorite for dinner, Dave," Grandma smiles from below the porch stairs. "We should eat before it gets cold."

I stand on the other side of the porch, waiting for everyone to head inside. Mom clicks the door shut behind her, and I walk across the creaking wood and throw my arms around him.