Chapter 32.

Last night I sprinted back to my room and immediately woke Grayson up to send him back to his room. He was too groggy for me to say anything to him at the moment.

My morning and afternoon passed, sitting out in Uncle Jack and Aunt Caroline's backyard with Iris and Maya as we relaxed by the pool, reading and chatting.

We're all gathered in Uncle Jack and Aunt Caroline's house now. We just finished dinner, and Grandma is dishing up cheesecake for everyone. Grayson isn't here again either, and I'm starting to worry. Mom and Hale have been pretty quiet all night, almost like they're both on edge.

Us girls are gathered in the kitchen, and Iris is texting away on her phone with a smile. Her cheesecake sits untouched next to her on the counter. "Baker's here. I gotta cut."

"Iris, you completely ruined our single-girl summer. We could have gone out tonight," Maya complains.

"Sorry," Iris laughs. "But I'm not a player anymore. And might I remind you, you're a child?"

Maya puts her hands on her hips, narrowing her eyes. "I'm turning sixteen next month."

Iris grins. "Bye, ducklings. I'll see you cuties later." She kisses each of us on the cheek, slips her phone into her back pocket, and walks off excitedly.

"She's disgusting. All gushy mushy."

I let out a laugh. "We can do something if you want?"

Brett walks over to us. "Hey, Maya. Me and Nate are taking Ash out for ice cream. Do you want to join?"

Maya looks at me with a smile.

"Go ahead," I chuckle.

Brett roughs up my hair. "You can join us too, Layla."

"No, thanks," I say, digging a fork through my cheesecake. "I like this way better."

Brett shrugs. "Suit yourself."

He offers Maya a piggyback ride, and they walk off, laughing.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I quickly pull it out. It's Grayson.

Grayson: Where are you?

I type back a response.

Layla: Uncle Jack's.

Layla: You missed dinner, btw.

Grayson: I know, and I'm starving. But that's entirely my fault.

Grayson: I'm in your room.

Butterflies.

Grayson: What are we watching tonight?

Layla: Stop spamming me, idiot. I'm busy.

Grayson: Yeah? Busy wishing you were with me right now. Don't keep me waiting, and hurry up.

Layla: And what are you going to do if I don't?

Grayson: Come over here and find out.

I set my empty plate in the sink as I slip my phone into my pocket and head towards the front door.

"Layla?" my mom calls from the dining room.

"Yeah?"

She steps into the hall with a glass of wine in her hand. "Have you ... have you seen Grayson at all today?"

I shift on my feet. "Uh ... no. Why is something wrong?" It's not a lie. I haven't seen him yet.

She quickly shakes her head. "No. No. Not at all. Where are you headed?"