Chapter 35.

I wake up to my phone buzzing on the bedside table. However, Grayson is holding onto me so tightly that I can't reach over to grab it without waking him up, so I ignore it.

The small digital clock reads six-forty-two. I sigh. Last night's moments replay in my head. Are you sure? I mean, I wasn't, but I thought it was what he wanted. It was in his eyes, the way he was looking at me.

Liam never asked me if I was sure. When Liam wanted it, he just assumed that I did too. So it surprised me when Grayson pulled away, even though I knew he wanted to do the opposite. The way he was kissing me back told me as much.

I'd only done stuff with Liam a few times, and I deeply regretted it every time afterward. It was like my body knew. Like it was trying to warn me about him. And when I found out he cheated on me, I wished I had never gone there with him in the first place.

And now I'm terrified that if I ever go there with anyone again, I'll still feel that same regret.

"What's on your mind?" Grayson asks sleepily, nuzzling my hair.

I shift slightly to look at him. "You're awake?"

"Barely," he whispers. "I opened my eyes and saw you lost in thought."

"It's nothing, Gray," I say softly. I turn around and push the hair away from his forehead. "Go back to sleep."

His arm tightens around my back. "You know you can talk to me, right?"

A wave of sadness hits me at his words. Can I talk to him? I don't even know what we are to each other. Are we a couple? Are we friends? Are we just two people who care deeply about one another?

Does it even matter?

Eventually, he falls back asleep. I'm unable to.

— — —

When Grayson and I get downstairs, the table in the kitchen is full of all kinds of breakfast food, and a small petite woman dressed in chef clothes bustles about. Jenny walks in, smiling.

"Morning! I hope you guys are hungry! Where's Kade?"

"He's still in the shower," Grayson answers.

Jenny laughs. "Of course he is. My son and his long showers. You guys sit, eat!"

"Ah, thank you, Jenny, this is so nice of you, but I can't stay."

Slight disappointment flashes over her face. "Oh."

"My mom called me early this morning. Today is the day we go bridesmaid's dress shopping. It's probably going to take the whole day."

"Understandable," Jenny nods. "Come back soon, okay?"

I smile. "For sure."

Grayson places a hand on my back. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah."

We walk out of the house and down the long driveway. Grayson's car is parked on the road. He opens my door for me, and I slip inside.

"Stay close to your family when you're out, okay? Don't go off anywhere alone. I'll be around, so give me a call if anything," Grayson says, pulling onto the street.

"Will you please tell me what the fuck is going on?"

Grayson sighs, pushing his hair back with a hand. "I found out why my father wanted to see me so bad. Do you remember the porch scene?"

"Yeah." Then the realization hits me. "That was him?"

"Yes. He's pulling someone's strings from his cell. He said that he hates to see me happy and that he'll do anything to ruin it. And he knows that I care about you ..."