Chapter 8.

All I know is that we're driving into the city in Kade's convertible. The rain stopped sometime last night but there's still a bit of a chill in the air as the wind whips through my hair.

I'm in the back and Grayson is riding shotgun. Glad You Came by The Wanted is blasting through the convertible's speakers and Kade is currently singing it at the top of his lungs.

"His parents are loaded," Grayson yells back to me so I can hear him over the music and Kade's screaming. "They buy him pretty much whatever he wants."

I look at the leather seats around me. "Lucky guy."

Kade is oblivious to our conversation and continues to sing. Somehow he knows every word to Where Them Girls At, going over the speed limit with one hand on the wheel. Every. Single. Word. Without a stutter or a slip-up. I'm impressed.

I unbuckle my seat belt and rest my head on the driver's seat. "What's this playlist called?" I ask. "Going into the city vibes?"

"It's actually called I'm going to be an asshole on the road and bother everyone with my obnoxiously loud music."

Kade laughs. "I'm doing them all a favor, trust me, brother."

"Slow down before we get pulled over," Grayson demands.

"Nah, man. On big roads like this you're allowed to go at least twenty over."

Grayson chuckles, the sound moving through my body because of how close I am to him. "Do you make up these rules as you go through life?"

Kade shrugs, keeping his focus ahead. "Maybe."

And, as if fate has been preying on us, a car turns its sirens on behind us.

"Shit." Kade groans, pulling over to the side of the last lane.

Grayson mumbles, "I told you so."

"It's not over yet, watch me charm this motherfucker."

Grayson lets out a laugh. "O-kay."

I watch the cop approach us from behind, a hand on his belt and the other holding his flashlight as he hums what sounds like Billie Jean.

"Evening fellas." The stout cop flashes the light in our eyes. "And lady. Apologies. Have we been drinking tonight?"

Kade shakes his head. "No, sir."

Then the cop flashes the light in Grayson's face and stares at him, inspecting his face.

"Is that you, Wallace?" He's squinting with his eyebrows raised in question.

"Yeah, it's me, officer donut," Grayson answers, waving at the cop.

"Well, I'll be damned." The cop chortles, throwing his head back. "Look at you all grown up." Then his attention turns back to Kade, all serious. "And what the hell are you doing, boy, going fifteen over the speed limit?"

I'm sure Kade is giving the officer his best smile when he says, "Having fun?"

"I'm only letting you go because you're riding with little Gray." He slams his fist on the door lightly. "Drive slow and safe. Somebody loves you."

"You got it, officer ... donut?"

The man scowls. "Officer Gibson to you, boy."

Kade puts his hands up in surrender.

"Get going," Officer Gibson says, flicking his head towards the the traffic passing by.

I can see Kade beaming from the rear-view mirror as he pulls back onto the road. "Little Gray?"