Chapter 43.

(Slight TW)

My mom is avoiding me.

Like hardcore avoiding me. She didn't even look at me when she walked back into the living room, and when I tried to sit by her she immediately got up and left. Hale followed her.

She has looked upset since she walked in and saw us and I'm sure Hale can tell.

The lights are off and everyone is watching the movie. I've been so in my head, I don't know what we're even watching.

I get up and decide I'm going to find my mom and talk to her.

Grayson shoots a glance in my direction as I walk out. I find Hale and my mom in the kitchen having a hushed conversation.

She frowns when she sees me. They stop talking and stare at me. I don't know what to say.

"How long have you been keeping this from me?" She asks, her voice faint. Then she scoffs, placing a hand on her forehead. "I feel so unbelievably stupid."

"I wasn't keeping it from you," I say, walking farther into the kitchen. "It just sort of happened."

Her eyebrows raise at that and Hale lets out a long breath. "Just now?"

I bite my cheek. "Well ... no."

"I don't know Grayson very well. In fact, I don't know him at all. But you ... I expected better from you."

I shift uncomfortably on my feet. The silence in the room is incredibly unbearable.

"Are you in love with him?"

I feel helpless. Like I can't even form a single word. So I stand there.

She closes her eyes and sighs, dropping her head. She doesn't need an answer. The silence is an answer enough. But I haven't said it out loud yet. And I haven't even told him.

"Do you understand the consequences of this long term? If you break up or something happens between you two, it will affect you and us as a family as a whole. God, Layla. I asked you if you were okay with him living with us. I thought you could maybe someday see him as your big brother. I thought you were already starting to."

That makes me slightly unwell. I'm standing there and I've never seen my mom this disappointed with me. Tears form in my eyes.

"Maybe you should go, Layla. Give us a chance to talk about this," Hale suggests, leaning against the counter.

I wipe my eyes and nod. Then I walk out to the backyard and let my tears fall. Not just about this, but about everything. Liam. My dad. Now my mom can't even look at me. I don't know how much time has passed when my eyes finally dry. And more time passes until Hale walks out toward the gazebo and sits by me.

"Layla, I think you are by far the best thing that has ever happened to Grayson. And I really mean that."

His words surprise me. I sniffle, my eyes still feeling heavy.

"But your mother is right. And she has the right to be upset."

I clear my throat. "Not too long ago she was questioning Grayson. Who he was as a person. If he should even be around me and our family. And today she says she wants us to be some kind of family."

Hale crosses his arms. "Grayson is complicated. But your mom knows how much he means to me, even when I don't show it. And despite what you may think, Grayson needs me. A lot. He has been through hell, you have to understand that."

I avoid his eyes, staring into the backyard.

"You never answered your mom earlier. Are you in love with him?"