Chapter 2.

I've always been an early bird, even at times I don't want to be. I head downstairs, certain no one can be awake yet.

I'm surprised to find Hale in the kitchen, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Good morning," he smiles, bringing the steaming mug of coffee to his mouth. "You're up early."

"Yeah, I was just about to head out for a run," I say, sitting down at the table to put my runners on.

Hale thinks about something for a moment. "Do you think you have a few minutes to talk?"

"Um ... sure." I'm not really sure what he wants to talk about but I follow him outside to the backyard anyway.

He sits down on the bench by the fire pit. I sit down next to him.

"What did you want to talk about?"

Hale takes a sip of his coffee. "Your mom said you were a little quiet at dinner last night."

"Oh, yeah. I was just tired, that's all."

"Is he giving you a hard time?"

"Who, Grayson?"

Hale nods and I'm unsure of how to respond.

"No." I don't know if it's a lie or the truth. "I mean, we barely talked."

"He has a tendency to make people dislike him before they get the chance to think otherwise. Don't take it personally. But ... if it becomes a problem for you don't hesitate to let me know. I'll deal with it."

Does it honestly have the potential to become a problem? It sure sounds like it does.

It's quiet, the sun illuminating the horizon in a beautiful pink and yellow sunrise.

"He doesn't even want to be here. He wanted to spend his summer in the city with his friends."

So, why is he here? "All right," I nod. "Is that all?"

Hale thinks something over. "I don't really want any issues this summer. Could you try to stay out of his way?"

You don't have to ask me twice, I think. Instead of saying anything I nod again. I don't even feel like going on a run anymore. Why does Hale think there will be issues between me and Grayson?

I head back up to the house knowing I should still run to keep my head clear. A brain working in overdrive is not a good look for me.

"What were you guys talking about?"

"Shit!" I yell, holding my heart that's suddenly racing a mile a minute. Grayson stands there in the kitchen, leaning on the counter, watching me. "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to sneak up on people?"

"I technically didn't sneak up on you. You just didn't know I was in the kitchen."

"Don't be a smartass. Nobody likes a smartass."

Grayson takes a few steps toward me. "Then it's a good thing I'm not here to be liked."

"Why are you here?" I find myself asking.

He shrugs, putting his hands into the pockets of his plaid pajama pants. I can't help but notice the way the muscles in his arms tighten. "I thought it was obvious. What? You don't see right through me?"

"No. And that bothers me."

I can hear him release a breath. "I figured as much."

"You never answered my question," I say, meeting his eyes.

"You never answered mine either."

My gaze travels to the backyard. Hale is still out there drinking his coffee in front of the fire pit. "The wedding. We were just talking about the wedding."