Chapter 41.

Grayson waits for me while I have a quick shower and brush my teeth. I don't want to look in the mirror just yet, so I avoid it. When I step out of my bathroom he's lying on my bed, resting his back on the headboard with eyes closed.

He inhales when he hears me, getting up. "About time."

"That was not more than ten minutes."

I toss my towel into my hamper and run my fingers through my wet hair. I'll just brush it later. I don't want to look at myself in my vanity yet either.

Grayson and I head downstairs and from the sounds coming from the kitchen, it sounds like everyone is here. I freeze. Grayson notices and stops, walking back to me.

"Everything okay?" He asks.

I take a second to breathe. "Yeah. Let's go." I walk past him but he holds onto my arm, forcing me to turn back to him.

His eyes are curious. "Are you sure? Because I can tell them you need some time alone and bring you breakfast upstairs?"

My heart.

"It was just a moment of hesitation, that's all. I swear it's okay."

He nods and I smile at him. We walk to the kitchen side by side. Literally everyone is here. Everyone. And all their eyes turn to Grayson and me as we walk into the kitchen. Mom and Grandma are the only ones scurrying about, setting food on the table.

"Good morning you two," Grandpa smiles. "Have a seat. We were just about to get started."

Grayson and I walk over to the table and sit beside each other. He's next to Kade, and I'm next to Iris.

"I'm glad you stayed, Kade."

He grins at me. "I'd never say no to a sleepover."

I laugh. It's nice to see his normalcy when everyone else is different. I can feel their eyes on my neck and I wish I had worn a turtle neck or a scarf or something.

"How'd you sleep, Layla?" Uncle Jack asks in silence.

I feel a slight rush of blood to my face. "Uh ... fine. Yeah, good."

Grayson exhales a small laugh next to me and I kick his leg underneath the table.

"Any updates from the police about his arrest yet?" Nate asks.

Mom sets a dish of pancakes down. "Um ... no," she sighs. "But I'm sure we'll hear from them any minute." She looks at me when she says that, trying to give me a reassuring look. "How are you feeling, my love? How's your head?"

I shrug. "I'm fine. It hurts a bit."

It does hurt. So do my neck and my throat. But I don't say anything because I don't want my family to worry more than they are.

"Well, Hale and I agree that you shouldn't leave the house until he's arrested."

I nod. "All right." I didn't plan to go out so soon anyway.

"Okay, everyone. Dig in," Grandma smiles, placing a pitcher of juice in the middle of the table.

Everyone starts to plate their food, becoming lost in their conversations and I feel slightly relieved that we don't have to talk about it anymore.

"I'm going back to Kade's place to get my things," Grayson says quietly to me. "I've been wearing these clothes for a little too long."

I rub the back of my neck. "Today?"

"Yeah," he nods, placing a spoonful of scrambled eggs onto my plate.

"Take me with you?"

He stops, his lips pressing into a thin line as he looks at me. "Come on, you're not serious."