Chapter 37.

GRAYSON

I haven't been able to get Layla off my mind the whole day today. She's usually always on my mind, but today it's different.

She sits there, laughing with her cousins, and I can't keep my eyes off her. Kade is with them too, enjoying himself.

"Have you talked to Hale yet?" David asks, forcing me to look away from Layla. He sits down next to me on the patio couch.

"Uh ... no. Not yet." I shift in my seat and cross my arms. "I'm sort of waiting for him to approach me."

"Fair enough."

Layla walks over, her cheeks slightly pink and her face glowing from the summer heat. She's grinning from ear to ear.

"Grayson, we're about to play Slapjack if you want to join us?"

David smiles and leaves, giving me a look as he walks off. Layla falls into his spot, clinging to my arm. "Why are you sitting here all alone? Come play with us."

I turn to look at her, trying to fight how I'm feeling right now because she's touching me and she's close. So close. And I want to kiss her. So bad. "If I play Slapjack with you guys someone is gonna get their hand broken."

Her smile grows. "Confident, are we?"

"A winner always knows he's going to win."

"Okay," she laughs, tugging my arm. "Let's see what you got. Kade says he's very competitive too so it looks like you have some competition."

"Kade is dust," I smile, walking with her to the table.

Kade turns around. "Yeah, I heard that motherfucker."

Everyone laughs as I sit down next to Layla. Brett deals the deck.

"You want a beer, Grayson?" Nate asks, opening a bottle using the edge of the wooden table.

I eye him suspiciously. "Uh ... sure?"

Nate hands me the open bottle and at the same time, Layla clears her throat.

"Kade, was it? Would you like one too?"

Kade nods. "Sure, man."

"Wow, Nate, you're not gonna offer us girls any?" Iris laughs, grabbing her deck of cards.

"I didn't think you girls would want to drink beer," Nate answers, handing another bottle to Kade.

Iris rolls her eyes. "Wow, that's sexist. I'll have one, thank you very much."

"Iris, stop fucking around. You hate beer," Brett says lazily, sipping on his bottle.

Maya raises a hand in the air. "I'm fifteen."

"You want some?" I quietly ask Layla, offering her my bottle.

Her nose scrunches slightly. "No. I don't like beer either."

I silently chuckle. "What do you like?"

"Anything that isn't beer."

I stretch my arm out, resting it on the back of her chair. She notices and smiles, her eyes landing on mine before looking away.

"Iris, sit down. You're not making margaritas right now. Everybody ready?" Brett asks.

Everyone nods, gathering their decks. I set my beer down and grab mine.

"Now go easy on Maya, okay? She's got little hands," Nate says.

"Nah, man, if I see a Jack it's getting slapped," Kade adds. Everyone laughs again.