Chapter 34.

GRAYSON

"Kade, did you tell Grayson the good news?" Jenny asks, setting her wine glass down on the table.

Kade beams, his face lighting up. "Father Matthews remains in remission."

Patrick laughs, wiping the corners of his mouth with his napkin.

I smile. "That's great, Patrick. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, Grayson. We are too."

"Life is good, man," Kade grins.

At least it is for someone. And I'm happy it is for Kade. He deserves it.

I finish up the last of my dinner as the doorbell rings. Jenny asks Kade to get it, and I sip on the rest of my wine. Jenny offered, and I wasn't going to say no.

I'm almost twenty-one, anyway—only two more months to go.

"Grayson," Kade starts, standing at the dining room entryway. "Someone's here to see you."

I push out of my chair and follow Kade to the front of the house. I find Layla, her eyes meeting mine as she stands in the grand foyer.

Layla. I haven't seen her in three days. I slowly move across the foyer as she stands there, nervously wringing her hands like always.

Then I sweep her up in my arms, thanking god that she's here and I can see her again. Feel her again.

She wraps her arms around my neck just the way I love, and I practically inhale her sweet scent.

"Should I give you two a moment alone?" Kade asks.

I set her down, but she keeps her hands on my shoulders.

"I can't stay long," she says. "Iris and her boyfriend are waiting outside, but I had to come see you."

"Don't go," I plead softly.

She looks at the door and then back at me, hesitating.

"If you need a ride later, Layla, I'd happily give you one. And if you want to ... I don't know ... spend the night? That's fine also," Kade says.

She clicks her tongue, unsure of what to do, her gaze flicking from the door to me again.

"Stay," I breathe. "Please? I need you."

I need her desperately. I need her near. I need her touch, and I need to hear the way her voice sounds when it turns into an almost whisper when she's sleepy. I need her in my arms.

"Yeah ... I should not be here right now." Kade walks off, his footsteps growing quieter the farther he goes.

"Grayson, you know I can't."

"Yes, you can."

"Things are hard at home. Hale is fraught and close to calling the police about the whole situation. Everyone else is on edge, and Grandpa says I'm not allowed to go far alone anymore."

"I'll drive you home myself if you want. Just for a few hours?"

She thinks about it for a moment. "Okay."

I feel relief swarm me and hug her again. I've missed her so goddamn much. I never knew I could feel this way about a person.

She pulls away as the front door opens.

"Layla, we have to go. Hey, Grayson." Iris waves at me.

I give her a small smile, tucking my hands into my pockets. "Hey, Iris."