Chapter 23.

GRAYSON

Kade and I are parked next to Walsh Street. The city is busy tonight. He's smoking a joint in the passenger seat, and I'm sitting in the driver's seat of his convertible.

He offers me the lit joint.

I shake my head. "No, thanks."

He brings it back to his mouth and takes a hit, coughing slightly afterward. "You used to love getting high with me."

"Yeah, well, I don't feel like going home to the Langleys when I'm in the clouds."

"Fair enough, brother. Maybe once we get back to the dorms."

I laugh. "I feel like you're missing school, but when we were there, your ass wouldn't stop complaining. I have a better showerhead at home, Grayson."

Kade rolls his eyes with a smile, then takes another hit. "Get over the showerhead thing already."

I push my hair back with my hand. "Are you taking Adderall again?"

Kade clears his throat. "I'm not like actively taking it, but I've had it a few times here and there."

"What's going on with you?"

His lips press into a flat line. "You couldn't have given me the third degree before I started smoking?"

I look at him, willing him to go on and tell me. He puts out the joint and throws it over to the grass.

"They think it's back."

"What's back, Kade? I'm not a mind reader."

He laughs at that, clearly starting to get buzzed. "Cancer, brother. They think the cancer is back."

"Oh, fuck. I'm sorry."

"They don't know for sure. They're still doing tests."

I nod as things make more sense. "That's why your dad hasn't been around lately."

"Yeah. He's trying to go through it on his own."

I blow out a breath. "That sucks, man."

Kade shrugs. "What can you do? Life goes on."

Life goes on. We sit in the quiet for a while.

"I'm starting to get hungry, brother," he chuckles, and I know the drug is in effect, and I'm pissed off that he's high right now while I'm not.

I start the car, but Kade stops me from driving by slapping my arm.

"Isn't that your girl, Grayson?" He asks, pointing across the street.

To my surprise, when I turn my head, I find Layla walking across the street from us next to some guy I don't know. Shit, now I really wish I was high.

"What is little Lay-Lay doing in the city?"

I lean forward to catch a better look. "More importantly, who is that fucker she's with?" They look cozy, walking close to each other. And she's laughing. My jaw clenches instinctively.

"Follow them," Kade suggests, smirking.

I slump back into my seat. "No. That's ... wrong."

"Shut the hell up. You know you want to."

I slowly start to follow behind them for about a mile. When we stop at a red light, Layla crosses the road, heading toward Park Plaza. The guy is covering her view so she doesn't see us.

"Turn right," Kade says. I look over to see his eyes are red. He looks absolutely glazed.

"Are you in a position to be giving directions right now?"