Chapter 10.

GRAYSON

What the fuck is he doing here? He's lucky I didn't break his fucking bones for what he did to Layla. What he tried to do.

He sits there with that smug fucking face and the split lip I gave him. It's almost like he's done something and he's proud of it. Either that, or he's planning something and he's proud of that. I don't like the thought of either of those things.

"Where were you?" Hale asks, his gaze pointed solely at me.

"Out." Way to state the fucking obvious, Gray. But I don't like him here. I don't like him sitting at the table with that look on his face.

"Layla, will you please go upstairs for a little while?" Macy says and I forgot that Layla is still standing next to me.

She hesitates but ultimately nods. "Sure." I watch her walk off and I can't help but notice how anxious she looks. Does she feel it too?

"Sit down, Grayson."

I can feel that man staring at me as I take a seat next to my uncle. So I stare straight back at him.

The old man leans forward and sets his hands down on the table like he's about to close some kind of deal.

"You understand that he has a past," he says, after clearing his throat. It seems like they're picking up the conversation right where they left off. "And honestly when Noah told us what happened my wife and I were not surprised in the least."

When I look over at Noah he's smirking.

"You're not supposed to fight back. You're supposed to go down like the little bitch you are."

The table goes quiet and Noah's smirk only grows. "You clearly don't know me."

"And I thank god for that every day."

"Grayson," Hale starts, a warning, then he turns his attention to who I can only assume is Noah's grandfather. "Where do you want us to go from here?"

Us? Who the hell is us? Macy and him?

"He shouldn't be in this town," the man says with disgust. "He's dangerous and a threat to everybody. The police are watching his every move."

"Then let them do their job," Hale reasons. "Grayson is not a threat and if he is the police will deal with him."

The man looks astonished. "My grandson's face says otherwise. Noah told us and his parents that Grayson tried to strangle him as he said the words, 'I'm going to fucking kill you'".

Hale lets out a deep sigh and I can hear the disappointment in it.

"Did he tell you what he was doing before that?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

Noah crosses his arms, his manner is suddenly all serious. "I was having a civilized conversation with Layla."

Fucking asshole.

I scoff. "No, you weren't."

"Yes, I was. It's not my fault you saw it as something it wasn't."

Macy speaks up. "What were you talking to Layla about? I didn't realize you guys were friends."

"Oh, we're not friends, Ms Langley. But Layla came on to me and I told her that I wasn't interested. However, she kept persisting. That's what we were talking about and I can see how it may have come off as a little heated. That doesn't excuse what Grayson did though."

This motherfucker has crafted up a whole narrative.

A confused look passes over Macy's face but it's gone in a matter of seconds.