Chapter 25.

My eyes are on the TV screen, but the truth is I haven't been paying attention to the movie for the last thirty minutes because Grayson is sitting right by me, and I can't help but feel his eyes on me.

I get up from the carpet and walk around the back of the couch to head upstairs so that I change out of these clothes.

Everyone continues to watch the movie, but I can see Grayson watching me from the corner of my eye. I make it upstairs to the quiet of my room and click my door shut, letting out a deep sigh.

We kissed. And I liked it. I more than liked it. No one has ever kissed me like that before. No kiss has ever made me feel the way Grayson's just did. And that's a problem.

I grab a random pair of sweatpants and change out of my jean shorts. Then I find my coziest T-shirt and slip it on after stripping off my sweatshirt. I don't feel like going back downstairs at all, and my bed just a few feet away keeps calling my name.

But I know it would only worry my mom and grandparents more.

I open my door and gasp, grabbing my heart. Grayson is standing there, leaning against the wall in front of my room, with his hands in his pockets.

"Hey," he says, standing straighter.

I let out a breath. "You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry," he says quietly. "You ran upstairs. I thought maybe something was wrong."

I clear my throat and cross my arms. "No, nothing's wrong. I just wanted to change into something more comfortable."

He nods slowly, his eyes unfocused. I'm unsure if he wants to talk about what happened because I certainly do not. At least not right now.

I can't stand the silence between us in the hallway. I kissed him first. I don't regret doing it, but what if I ruined the bit of mutual like we had going for each other? He probably thinks I'm some kiss-deprived weirdo.

"We should go back downstairs. Star-Lord awaits."

Grayson keeps his eyes on the hardwood floor. "You go. I think I'm ready to call it a night."

I hesitate in the hall, wringing my hands. "Are you sure?"

His eyes meet mine. "Yeah, Layla. I'm sure."

So maybe he doesn't want to talk about it either after all. I head back downstairs without Grayson.

— — —

Aunt Leah and Uncle Dom arrived early this morning with my cousins Maya, who's fifteen, and Asher, who recently just turned twelve. Aunt Leah is the youngest Langley sibling. Uncle Jack is the oldest, and Mom is the middle child, which is funny to think about because it's clear she's the favorite. 

Mom's family is all here now and gathered in the backyard of Uncle Jack and Aunt Caroline's house as Uncle Jack barbecues burgers for us for dinner tonight.

Grayson is sitting down by the pool next to Brett. They're talking about something. I'm sitting at the table drinking lemonade next to Iris as she gushes about Baker, but my eyes keep wandering over to the certain someone sitting by the pool.

We haven't spoken in two days, and it's making me restless. Since that night, under the dim light of the hallway.

"Tomorrow's the fourth of July, and I know we're supposed to watch the fireworks as a family, but Baker wants to watch them with me."

"Oh?"

Grayson laughs at something Brett just said; his hair pushed back with a backward cap.

"What's up with you?" She asks.