Chapter 21.

GRAYSON

Good god. She gets more beautiful every damn day.

It's ten past nine now. Kade sits at the kitchen table with his head down and his coffee untouched next to him as Layla walks in, freshly showered, making my heart beat faster.

"Morning," she says, avoiding my eyes as she treads over to the coffee pot. I catch myself staring at her legs and have to pry my eyes away.

I almost kissed her last night. I would have kissed her had she not said that we shouldn't. My head is not screwed on right lately. Hale and Macy walk into the kitchen next, dressed and ready for the day.

"Oh, good," Macy smiles. "You're all here. Let's sit and chat for a bit."

Layla brings her cup of coffee to the table and sits across from Kade.

"Why did you take my car, Grayson?" Hale starts off the interrogation with his eyebrows raised.

"I'll get us some coffee, babe," Macy says.

I slide my empty cup back and forth between my hands. "I had no other choice. I didn't know what was happening with Kade, and it seemed easier to bring him back in a car than the bike. I'm sorry. I should have asked you first."

"Okay. And you, Layla? Why did you decide to join in on that adventure?"

Layla shifts uncomfortably in her chair, meeting my eyes briefly. "Well, Kade is my friend now, I guess. I was worried about him."

Hale turns his gaze back to me as Macy sets his coffee in front of him. "You couldn't have told her to stay home?"

"What are you implying here, Hale? That I willingly put her in danger? How was I supposed to know what was going to happen?"

His tone grows firm. "I'm implying that you could have left her at home."

I laugh at that, meeting Layla's eyes. "Yeah. As if she would ever listen to anything I have to say."

She flicks her gaze away, not wanting to look at me. What? She suddenly can't take the heat?

"Let's focus on the situation at hand for a moment. Since we're not going to the police about this, do any of you know who could have done something like that?" Everyone is quiet, and Kade still has his face on the table. "Kaiden!" Hale says loudly, causing Kade to jerk upright.

"No, sir. No idea," Kade answers quickly.

"Good, at least you're listening. Now, do I call your parents?"

"God," Kade groans. "Please don't do that. I'm a grown man. You're making me feel sixteen again, Hale."

Hale sighs, softening a little bit. "Are you okay?"

Kade shrugs, staring into his coffee. "Just dandy."

He's obviously going through something, and I will get it out of him as soon as we're alone.

"So, just to be clear, you and Grayson left the house late at night, took Hale's car, and drove across town to pick Kade up from Valley Ave?" Macy asks her daughter.

"Yes," Layla nods. "He didn't sound okay, and we were worried. When we found Kade and got back outside, someone had done that to Hale's car."

Macy looks to Hale for guidance. A silent conversation passes between them.

"Fine," Hale says, turning his attention back to us. "But next time, please, let us know what's going on."

Macy gets up from the table, grabs Hale's empty cup, and walks it over to the sink. "We have some errands to run for the wedding. If you guys need anything, let us know."