Chapter 49.

The Langley's are a loud bunch. It's the last lunch together before everyone leaves back to their homes to spend the rest of the summer in the city.

"Hey, baby," Grayson beams walking over to me with a bouquet of fresh picked flowers in his hands.

I break out into a wide smile, setting the last plate down on the table outside. Birds are chirping above, the sun is out and blazing, and everyone is here, gathered in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard.

"For me?"

"David helped me pick them out from the Teller's field. He said it was your favourite place to go growing up."

I don't think it's possible to smile bigger than I am as I nod. I lean over and hug him, almost crushing the flowers between us. "Thank you, you're so sweet."

Grayson's warm hands run over my waist as his mouth finds my ear. "You'll just have to return the favour somehow," he whispers, grazing his lips against my jaw. And just like that he's got me in his clutches. He knows how easy it is. And from time to time he likes to torture me because of it.

I laugh and push him back. "Asshole. You know I promised Grandma I'd help today."

"I'm sure she won't mind if I steal you for a couple of minutes," he says, dragging me toward the house.

"Grayson, stop!" I giggle as he continues pulling me. I set the flowers down on side table beside the back door. We stop in the kitchen and he cages me in against the counter.

I look up into his eyes. He looks down into mine, one hand on each side of me, a smile on his face like I've never seen before. It makes me melt into the counter.

"What is it, Gray?" I ask softly.

"I love you."

I reach up and push his hair away from his forehead. "I love you too, baby."

He takes a big breath in and out. "I heard back from school today."

That makes me stand up straight. "What did they say?"

His face falls as he laughs, his hair brushing my face. It must be good news. He looks up at me again. "I get to stay."

"What?! That's amazing, Gray! I knew it would work out."

I hug him tightly again and he uses it to his advantage, pulling me up onto the counter, wedging himself between my legs.

"There was something the Dean said over the phone call that surprised me."

I wrap my arms around his neck. "What was that?"

His warm mouth finds mine as he kisses me in that way that makes that spot between my legs ache.

His cheeks are pink when he pulls his mouth off of mine. "They said if distinguished Alumni Harrington speaks so highly of me, I must be someone worth keeping."

I struggle to respond. I had no idea they would mention my dad.

"Thank you, baby. That meant a lot to me."

"Anything for you," I say, meaning it.

He kisses me again, slowly pulling my dress up as he smooths his palms over my legs. "You deserve more than flowers for that."