S04:E02

•~3rd person P.O.V~•
"Tory, I don't know what you want me to say," Ellie admitted. Tory told Ellie the whole story of how Amanda had gotten Tory fired, and that was why she got so angry with Robby during that day's practice. Ellie didn't really care, and if it had been anyone else then Ellie would've gone off on the person who got Tory fired. But this was Amanda.

The woman who was her mother for about eight years. The woman who taught her how to use makeup, got her through her first period, and remembered her birthday when her mother had "forgotten". Although her mother had given Hawk a present that day.

"Amanda has been my surrogate mom for eight years and counting, the only thing I can do is listen to you vent." Tory sighed, pulling her hair into a tighter ponytail.

"Yeah, I know. But I have this weird feeling like...she's not a bad lady. Like, any mom that would go and get someone fired for their daughter has to be a good mom." Ellie nodded, her mom would've never done that for her. Which was what sucked the most.

Ellie could look around and see so many people with good moms. She dreaded Mother's Day because she always had to get her mother a present and say how much she loved her when her mother couldn't even bother to tell her she loved her once a month. She especially hated when people said they hated their moms, simply for grounding them but whenever their mom ungrounded them and took them shopping they loved them.

She wished she could tell those people how lucky they had it. How lucky they were to have a mom want to hang out with them. To have a mom that smothered them with hugs and kisses. To not find mother figures in teachers and Amanda LaRusso.

Everyone was more comfortable talking about their issues with their fathers because most fathers were absent. Emotionally or physically. In fact, with the 19.5 million children in the US, more than one in four live without a father in their homes.

But most mothers seemed to be emotionally abusive as if they were trying to hide it better than the fathers. It's not until most children grow older and learn that the way they were treated wasn't normal and that it wasn't abuse. Not all abuse is physical, Ellie thought most people knew that, but not even CPS seemed to know.

"Yeah, Sam's really lucky." Tory looked at Ellie for a moment, as she toyed with the fraying ends of her gi. She didn't know much about Ellie's home life, just whatever Hawk had said. She lived with her mom, her stepdad, and Hawk. Her mom got married to her stepdad when she and Hawk were ten, only a year after their father had left.

Tory didn't know why he left. Or what type of person he was. Or what type of mom Ellie had. She knew that sometimes Ellie stayed at the hotel that she rented for Robby sometimes, but she didn't know if that was to spend time with her boyfriend or if she wanted to get away from her house.

"What's your mom like?" Ellie felt her mind suddenly go blank. Ellie knew when most people asked "what's _ like?" they wanted you to describe their personality. Most people didn't want to hear that they were terrible people either. But when Ellie tried to think of other, nice, words to call her mom, she came up with nothing.

"I mean...she's...pretty." That was true. Ellie thought her mom was beautiful, but most kids did anyways. Her mom had been a pageant Queen, Homecoming Queen, and prom queen. Her mom often said she could've gone and become a model if she hadn't gotten pregnant with Ellie. As if Hawk had magically appeared and she hadn't pushed him out with Ellie.

"Anything else?" Tory chuckled at Ellie's lack of words. Ellie talked the more you got to know her, so it was odd for her to speak so little to Tory. Tory didn't mind that Ellie talked more than most people, it was actually pretty nice.

"She doesn't really like me so I don't know her all that well." Ellie felt Tory's eyes on her making her feel slightly nervous. "Questions about my mom are better to be directed at Hawk. She liked him, so he knows her better." Tory frowned. If Ellie's mom had to like one of them better than the other then Tory thought it should be Ellie.