𝘴 𝘪 𝘹 𝘵 𝘦 𝘦 𝘯

After taking a shower and changing into the clothes that Sam washed for her, Daphne sat on his couch, staring at the wall ahead of her

After taking a shower and changing into the clothes that Sam washed for her, Daphne sat on his couch, staring at the wall ahead of her. Her mind was off in a million different places.

"You wanna talk about it?" Sam asked as she sat down in front of her.

Daphne looked at him and shook her head. "I wouldn't even know where to start," she said.

"How about the beginning," he said.

Daphne sighed, wondering when that would even be. "I don't know. I just...I just found out that everything that's ever happened to me was for nothing. It was all a lie and it feels like a really hard punch to the face."

"What about that?" he asked, pointing to the ring that she still wore on her necklace. "Is that a lie?"

Daphne shook her head, gently rubbing her finger over it. "I'm starting to think this was the only thing that was ever real," she said. "70 years ago. You'd think I'd be over it by now, huh?"

"Nah. 70 years to the rest of the world but I'm sure for you it doesn't feel that way. Even if it did, grief isn't linear. There's no set timeframe on how long you're allowed to grieve" he told her.

Daphne looked at him and smiled. "You know for someone who's not a therapist that was a very therapist thing to say," she said as he laughed. "But it's good advice. Thank you."

"I think I know what'll help you feel even better," he said as he stood up.

"What's that?" she asked, watching as he walked into the kitchen.

"Waffles."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

When both Steve and Nat were done freshening up, they joined them in Sam's kitchen for breakfast.

"So who at S.H.I.E.L.D. could launch a domestic missile strike?" Nat asked.

"Pierce, definitely. It's probably why he recruited me. Wanted to keep one of HYDRA's assets close by" Daphne said.

"Who also happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world" Natasha sighed.

"But he's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star" Steve said.

"So was Jasper Sitwell" Natasha reminded them.

"So the real question is how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D. officer in broad daylight?" Daphne asked.

"The answer is, you don't," Sam said, dropping a folder onto the table.

"What's this" Steve asked.

"Call it a resume," he said, as Natasha picked up the folder.

"Is this Bakhmala?" she asked. "The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you?"

Flipping through the pictures, Daphne picked one up seeing him standing next to someone. "Is this Riley?" she asked.