9

Enjoy Reading...

******************************

Sitting near the open window of his study, Veer was staring at the dark starry night with lots of things going on inside his head.

He puff out the smoke from his slightly parted lips. He is not a smoker but to calm the emotional storm inside him, he unwilling resort to smoking.

"Veer, you are again smoking? You know very well I hate smoking and the one who smokes," He heard the soothing voice of his wife and smile slightly. Her voice is enough to calm him.

He smacks the cigarette on the ashtray while mentally shaking his head feeling frustrated with himself.

He sat on the recliner near the open window and close his eyes feeling the cool breeze on his face.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Around 11 pm, Preet entered in her room with tired dull face. She look around for Veer and sighs not finding him there.

She sat in front of the dressing table and started removing the jewelry looking at her reflection with dead eyes. Suddenly she stop and look at her face as if searching something.

She close her eyes and take a deep breath feeling got tears in her eyes.

"Don't cry, please." she whispered to herself still closing her eyes.

She startle when the door opens with a click sound. She saw Veer step inside while rubbing his forehead. He look tired and drained.

Suddenly their eyes met each others in the mirror stopping him in his track for a second. But he quickly avert his eyes and went inside the closet.

Preet keep looking at the entrance of the closet after he disappears inside it.

"Veer," Preet called him as he was about lay down to sleep. He turn to her and see her standing near the window wearing the saree, she was wearing for her friend's engagement.

"There is something I wanted to talk about," she said looking at his face but he keep his face neutral and nodded.

"Say," he said

Preet look at his cold blank eyes and soon her own eyes tear up.
"Are you really wanted to do this?" she asked him. She was trying to keep her voice strong but failed badly as her voice breaks in between.

"I am not getting your words. Say clearly," Veer said but unknowingly his heart clenched at the sight of her glossy eyes.

Preet look down for a second feeling her emotions taking over her sense.
"You...divo" she closed her eyes tightly feeling pain while uttering those words.

"You really want divorce," she whispered and slowly look up at him to see him stiff in his place. He look at her with shock clearly visible in his face.

But he quickly comes out of this shock and again maintains his blank face.
He clear his throat and look away from her face as she was looking at him like a child with a red nose and teary eyes. He can't look at her innocent face while breaking her heart. He knows her feeling for him. Anyone can tell just by looking at her shining eyes.

"It is for our best, Preet," he said. His hand formed a tight fist when he heard a small sniff.

"I am sorry," as he said that, he heard a painful chuckle from her. Veer look at her to see her smiling painfully while looking at him.

"Sorry? For what, Veer? Huh," she asked while slowly walking toward him.

"Why are you sorry? I should be sorry for coming into life, forcefully....for being your unwanted wife and destroying your peaceful life, right?" She said standing in front of him while tears were flowing from her eyes like a river.