Chapter 109: Shindig

Yvian was tired of trudging. She was tired of walking in general. She was especially sick of wading through a swamp with mud and muck sucking at her shoes. Her fancy Homestar dress was wet and dirty, with bits of plant matter clinging to it. Small flying invertebrates buzzed around her, often landing on her. Some of them were biters. She didn't know how many she'd slapped to death after they stuck tiny sharp needles into her skin, trying to suck her blood.

Yvian took some small comfort in seeing the human delegation was just as miserable. Fancy white uniforms were stained green and brown, and the humans slapped at themselves just as she did. The ones in civilian attire were sweating heavily, and their soaked tuxedos wrinkled and clung to them, giving a harried and bedraggled appearance.

On the other hand, the Oluken looked comfortable. They moved through the water with slow grace, chatting among themselves and swiveling their eyestalks in a contented fashion. The delegation of small purple tentacled creatures swum happily alongside them. Yvian had learned they were the Taa'oor. The Taa'oor were aquatic, venomous, and untrusting of other species. They were close allies with the Oluken, and had rebuffed all diplomatic advances from any other species.

The Vrrl didn't move through the water as gracefully as the Oluken, but they seemed far less bothered than the humans or Yvian. They ignored the flying invertebrates, either protected by fur and thick skin or too disciplined to acknowledge discomfort.

After nearly an hour of trudging, the mass of guards and diplomats reached another ramp, and a door leading back into the station proper. To Yvian's immense disappointment, the refreshment area had been set up in the swamp water near the ramp. Floating above the water were platters and small platforms heaped with food. Yvian saw strange fruits, fish, and piles of brown and green plant matter. Robed Oluken moved around the trays, holding bags filled with various liquids.

Upon reaching the refreshment area, the Oluken Elders stopped. Everyone else stopped behind them. Elder Vanno spoke. "We have been immersed in the Lifestream. We have contemplated its majesty, and we have struck an accord within it's view. Now the time for contemplation has ended. Take your ease, sample the refreshments, and let us mingle and speak in harmony."

Each of the delegations had kept to themselves through the ceremony. Even after the treaty was signed, they'd stayed within their groups, avoiding interactions with the other diplomats in accordance with Oluken customs. Now, the humans and Vrrl and Oluken all dispersed, moving towards food and drink. The Taa'oor swam quickly to one of the hovering platters of fish, swarming it over and stuffing the food into what Yvian presumed were mouths at the bottom of their bodies. In less than a minute, the tray was empty.

She noted the Oluken guards dispersing as well, spacing themselves strategically through the area. Eyestalks swiveled, each Security Officer on high alert for trouble. Tendrils drifted near the silvery whips the Officers carried on their belts.

One of the Peacekeeper units turned to the other. "This unit will now socialize with the Oluken and Taa'oor." Yvian decided it was Ambassador Zarkon. "Will the Kilroy unit stay with the meatbags?"

"Affirmative," said Kilroy. "This unit will do it's best to prevent a diplomatic incident."

"Affirmative," Zarkon acknowledged. "With meatbags, that is all this unit can ask."

"Really, guys?" Lissa folded her arms and huffed. "Where's the trust?"

"Peacekeeper units do not trust," said Kilroy. "We assess and predict."

"It is one of the reasons we are superior," Zarkon agreed. The ambassador tipped his fedora. "Do your best, meatbags. May fortune favor you on the cusp of The Crunch." The Peacekeeper walked away, strolling towards the Oluken elders.