15. Sister-in-law's advice

Chaitra

When I said I like him but was not sure about the marriage Vadina asked me a few questions.  For every question, my heart gave me a single answer.

"Yes!" 

I am genuinely happy and comfortable around him. I feel like I can share anything and everything with him. He makes me feel special. He cares for me and he respects me. He was never rude to me. And his care! What he did yesterday for me is enough to make me understand how much he cares for me.

We had our lunch along with my family and he left after that bidding goodbye to everyone.

I sat in my room after he left and soon sleep engulfed me. I didn't have proper sleep for the last two days so I just slept. No one woke me up too. That's so unusual! My mom will take the entire house on her head if someone sleeps in the evenings but today she just let me sleep!

I woke at 7. I washed my face and walked into the kitchen to find some water to drink. Vadina is in the kitchen making coffee. I hugged her from back and rested my head on her shoulder. She patted my head lovingly. When I asked her about Annayya and Nanamma she said he took her for another check-up.

"Want some coffee?" She asked turning her head a little and looking at me. I nodded my head in a yes and she added some more milk to boil. 

We both went into the living room after pouring coffee into mugs. We settled ourselves in sofas and rested our legs on the table. 

"He's a keeper!" Vadina said out of the blue making me snap my head in her direction. 

"He will always keep you happy. I can see the unconditional love for you in his eyes. Never leave him for anything Chaithu!" Vadina said with a smile.

"But do I really deserve him vadina? Can I give him the same amount of love that he bestows upon me?" I voiced out my thoughts. I will e selfish if I keep expecting him to love me when I am not sure of my feelings for him.

"You deserve every ounce of love you get Chaitra! Not only from him but from everyone who loves you. You are the best daughter, best sister, and best sister-in-law anyone can ask for. And I am very sure that you will be the best wife too! I know how you treat people once you start loving them. And you are falling for him!" She said smiling sweetly.

I just nodded my head at her words. I don't know if I can become his ideal life partner or not but I will give my hundred percent in trying to become one. 

"When will nanamma come back?" I asked after a pause.

"Your brother said they are on their way," Vadina replied getting up. We both kept our cups for washing and took out vegetables to start cooking. We both cooked dinner chatting about different things. The kitchen is the place where Maa sa and Vadina became best friends. I never saw anyone of them cooking alone when they are free. They always cook together chatting and cracking jokes. I used to join them a few times when they allowed me to.

After we are done with cooking we went back to our respective rooms to freshen up. I came down running when I heard a car honk. 

I hugged Nanamma as soon as she entered. She patted my hair lovingly. She was the one who took care of me and Annayya when Maa sa and Nanna were busy in the initial days of their business. They used to spend most of their time in the hotels making sure everything is going smoothly. They started spending time with us only after they attained a brand name and realization for our hotel chains which took almost  15 years. They never ignored their responsibilities toward us. They made sure to spend every Sunday with the family despite being so busy and attended all our PTMs. They were part of our every celebration. We were just unable to meet them on weekdays.

"How are you baby?" She asked patting my cheek lovingly and wiping off my tears.

"I am good Nanamma! But why don't you take care of yourself?" I asked glaring at her angrily. She passed me a toothy grin and mouthed a sorry. I didn't get much time to talk to her yesterday as she needed rest and I was not allowed in by my very strict mother.

"Nanamma you should take a rest," Annayya said to which she nodded and I moved away giving them way. Annayya took her to her room and I followed behind. He made her sit on the bed and sat beside her.

"Chaithu come here!" He said patting the space beside him. I went there and sat beside him.

"Is it true Chaithu?" Nanamma asked making me frown at her words.

"What Nanamma?" I asked looking at my brother and grandmother.

"That you said yes to a proposal!" She stated making me blush remembering about him. I nodded yes with a smile. My brother patted my head lovingly. 

"Thank god! I thought I will die before seeing my chitti thalli's(endearment)  wedding!" She said with teary eyes which made my eyes watery.

"Don't speak like that Nanamma!" Annayya said holding her hands. I nodded yes. She patted both our cheeks lovingly.

"I know you both love me Kanna! (endearment) But We have to accept the fact that I don't have many days left. I always wanted to see Chaithu as a bride before my death but never expressed my wish because I didn't want her to feel forced to get married just to fulfill my wish!" She said and took my hands in her shaky hands.

"But now she found a man who loves her and protects her. Now I can see my granddaughter getting married before my eyes." She said wiping her teary eyes. 

"We will talk about that later. You take some rest Nanamma." Annayya said and made her lie down. He covered her with a quilt and we both walked out.  Annayya gave me an assuring hug before going to freshen up.

After some time he came to my room with two cups of hot chocolate. He came in and sat on my bed beside me.

"Are you really happy with this proposal Chaithu? If you are not ready just tell me. I will handle everything." He said patting my head lovingly.

"I am happy Annayya. But I need some time to prepare myself for getting married! I don't think I am ready to get married immediately. Moreover, I want to know him more before getting tied to him." I shared my opinions with him. He listened to me carefully all the while. He is my best friend and my warrior brother who always understands me and fights for me with anyone. He understands me like no one. I can be my unfiltered version with him and he does the same with me. I know all his secrets and fears. We know the most embarrassing stories of each other. 

"I will handle everything Chaithu. You will get as much time as you want. And no one will ask you to get married until you say it on your own." He said giving me a side hug.

"Leave the topic. How is my Chinni?" He asked pulling my cheeks. Yeah! Chinni is my nickname which only he uses to call me.

"Good Chinnu! And you?" I asked. Chinnu is his nickname which only I use.

"Good! So, how is college?" He asked getting comfortable on my bed. He placed a cushion in his lap.

"Nothing interesting. Just the usual classes, assignments, and that Hitler had new and innovative ideas to punish us." I replied to which he chuckled.

"That's how the college will be dear sister!" He said pulling my cheeks with a cheeky grin. I slapped his hand away.

"I know dear brother!" I said mocking him.

"Sleep early! You have to leave early tomorrow!" He said getting up from my bed. I too got up and hugged him good night after which he left for his room and I too slept.