22. Escape

Chaitra

Annayya took us out to take my mind off marriage issues. Knowing Daksh too doesn't want to force me into anything made me feel more happy. He doesn't want to force me into anything. I am very happy that he loves me. I am not sure about my feelings but I know I like him a lot.

"Chaithu!" Hithen yelled in my ear making me flinch. 

"What the hell Hithu?" I snapped at him scared by his yelling.

"I was calling you for the past 5 minutes but you were lost somewhere else!" He said hopping on the car bonnet beside me.

"Where were you lost woman?" He asked placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I was just thinking about this proposal and all!" I said resting my head on his shoulder.

"Don't think much Chaithu! We will plan something." He said resting his head on mine.

"I am just happy that Daksh too cares about my decisions," I said looking at the sky.

"BTW how did you manage to get a great man like him?" He asked in an amusing tone. Why can't Daksh love me? 

"What does that mean?" I asked narrowing my eyes at him.

"I mean how a gentleman like him fell for a crack case! See he is smart, intelligent, caring, calm, and composed and you will be in last place in all these things. So, how?" He asked earning a smack from me. 

"See, this is what I was saying!" He said rubbing his head where I hit him. I pouted looking away.

"If you are done sulking have your ice cream. It's flowing down your hands!" He said making an irritated face. I want to fight back but he is not worth of making my ice cream wait. So, I had my ice cream.

"Let's go?" Akash Annayya asked to which we all nodded and went home. By the time we reached home, everyone is already sleeping so we just went back to our rooms.

I changed into my pjs and soon sleep engulfed me.

I woke up the next morning with my mother yelling at me. This is the only time I wish to be in a hostel.

"Chaitra! You are getting up this instant or I am going to throw you out!" She yelled pulling my duvet. When I didn't bulge she switched off the ac and opened the windows wide open. 

Just a great way to wake up someone who is sleeping peacefully. I am not going to do anything anyhow, why doesn't she let me sleep? I got up and moved to the washroom to do my business. I got ready and went down to be wished by the Chauhans. What are they doing here in the morning? 

"Why are you standing here like a statue? Go, wish them!" My mom whisper-yelled at me to which I nodded in a daze and went to them. I touched the feet of elders and took blessings. After that, we moved to the dining area.

I sat in between Vadina and Hithen with Annayya beside Vadina and Dev bhai beside Hithen. Daksh is sitting in front of me and everyone took other seats.

"What are they doing here?" I whispered to no one in particular.

"Maa sa invited them for breakfast!" Vadina whispered back. There goes my beauty sleep! Why not lunch or dinner? what's so special about breakfast except murdering my precious sleep?

"And when was she planning to inform us?" I asked to which she shrugged her shoulders.

"Why they served me this Upma?" Hithen asked making faces that made all of us i.e., me, Dev bhai, vadina, and Annayya snap our heads toward him. Like man! Here we are hell nervous as we are having breakfast with my would-be in-laws about which we had no idea and he is complaining about upma.

"There are many other dishes Hith! Just serve yourself!" Dev bhai said before we all passed a nervous smile to everyone who are looking at us as if we had all grown two heads.

"What about our plan?" I asked trying to eat presentably. 

"Do you think Maa sa will let us go out before Chauhans?" Annayya asked making me pout. Here goes my plan! Just a great day! First, it was my sleep, and now my plan to attend my friends' functions!

We all had our breakfast with business talks among men and casual talks among women and neither I nor Bindu vadina were interested in both. After breakfast, we all sat in the main hall. I requested vadina with my eyes to do something and she nodded okay.

"Maa sa, I am feeling a little uneasy. I will take rest." She said getting up and it's my cue to sneak away from this.

"I will give her company Maa sa!" I said getting up at lightning speed. 

"Ms. Chaitra Raghav Chowdary and Mrs. Bindu Akash Chowdary, I very well know about your plans. So, sit back." Maa sa ordered us daring us to take a step ahead. And when your mother takes your full name then you should not try to act smart.

We both sat back and Hithen chuckled at us. I glared at him and turned to my dad with my best puppy eyes and vadina turned to Annayya.

"Maa/Pallavi..." They tried to speak but were cut in the middle by my mother.

"You both are not going to take their side now." She ordered them and they nodded like obedient kids.

There was a knock on the door and that's all I needed to sprint out of there. There was a courier on Dads' name which I took in after signing. I got a stupid idea and I decided to try my luck again. I put my phone at my ear acting as if talking to someone. I handed over the parcel to Dad and sat in my place still acting to be on the phone.

"I know Aunty but we have guests at our place. I really can't make it." I said acting like I am sad and made a face. I nudged vadina to ask me what happened and she did.

"What happened Chaithu?" She asked faking concern. I was hardly able to control my laugh seeing her acting.

"It's Meena's mehandi tonight and Haldi in an hour, Aunty is asking 5 of us to be there now. I said her that we are having guests so we couldn't come. " I said acting sad.

"See even your friends are getting married. And you are scared of getting married!" Maa sa spoke. Just perfect! I was trying to run away just to avoid this particular discussion but I guess I used the wrong excuse. I just sat back and Hithen smirked looking at me. I glared at him and he went quiet.

"You can go beta! You don't need to miss your friend's functions for us. We are a family." Kamala Aunty said. I looked at my dad as I know my mom will say no.

"You can go Kanna!" Dad said I dragged 4 of them to my room before my mom can say something to stop us.

I got ready and came down. If I cannot avoid my marriage topic let me just enjoy my friend's marriage till then. I looked at Maa sa who is looking at me like a lioness who is ready to grab my neck. I looked down due to fear.

"Why don't you Daksh and others with you?" Mom asked with a smile as if daring me to say no. I looked at Jr Chauhans expecting them to say no but they all stood up from their places ready to go except Daksh.

"Thank god! At least  I won't be teased in the name of my fiance!" I breathed out but to my worst luck, Aksaya and Aakansha pulled him up and dragged him to the car.