66. No alcohol

Chiatra

We returned home the next day and Daksh's family left for Rajasthan. Daksh took the responsibility of getting my wedding lehenga while my brothers took the responsibility of buying my wedding sarees. I don't know how these men will get them but they seemed so excited about it so I didn't stop them and also requested everyone else not to. Mumma, Atha, and Maami took charge of buying the lehengas and sarees for other rituals. 

Daksh asked me about my preferred colors for the wedding lehenga and I told him I wanted the traditional red or any shade of red. He then showed me a few designs and I gave my inputs regarding it. My brothers turned more secretive than Daksh. They didn't even give me any hint regarding the sarees. They just said I would love them.

The next day after their return, Maamu took the wedding card from our side to Daksh's house. It is a ritual that the bride's maternal uncle should take the wedding card to the groom's house and then one of the groom's family members will give the wedding card to the Bride's family after which the wedding cards will be distributed to everyone. Daksh asked if he could be the one who comes here with a wedding card and I had to literally plead with him not to sulk over it. He finally agreed after I promised to go on a date with him as soon as we all reached to the wedding venue. 

It is finally the last day of my period and today I will go back to my home. From the day I got my period, I have been staying at Atha's place with my brothers and sisters-in-law. Mumma and Atha were taking care of all the arrangements and as I was not allowed to touch any of the auspicious things during my periods, I suggested moving to Atha's so I could move freely without fearing anything. It's not like my parents are always particular about these things, except for festivals and now weddings, no one cared if I was in periods or not. I would dance around the house and no one says anything.

"Annayya, when will the sarees be delivered?" I asked, another attempt to get some information about my sarees. 

"I know what you are trying to do, Chinnu. But no, you will see them when you are going to wear them," Annayya poured water on my attempts and I pouted at him while everyone else burst out laughing. 

"I hate you all," I announced. I dashed to my room and dialed my Aksh. He picked up the first 3 rings and a smile made its way to my lips on seeing my man.

"Hey Jaan, how are you feeling now?" He wished me with a beautiful smile showing off his dimples and making me giggle in reply. He has been asking me this question from the time I told him about having cramps two days back.

"Hi, Aksh. I am perfectly fine," I wished him back and sat on my bed taking my favorite teddy on my lap. 

"How was your day, Aksh?" I asked once he sat on his bed with his back touching the headboard.

"It was hectic, Jaan. I had a few company-related meetings and then met the weavers of Rajasthan who are making your wedding lehenga," My lips twisted down into a pout on listening about my wedding lehenga and the previous futile attempts of getting information about sarees came to my mind.

"Who dared to offend my Jaan?" Daksh cooed with a small amusing smile on his lips as he encouraged me to speak about it.

"I really want to see my wedding lehengas and sarees but no one is showing them to me saying it's a surprise," I said in a complaining tone which made him chuckle softly. 

"Don't stress, Jaan. And I will show you your lehenga as soon as it's done. I just don't want you to see the half-done one. I asked them to make a few according to what you said and you can choose among them." He explained softly and I nodded at him.

"When are you going to return to Papa's place?" He asked as he lay on the bed with his left hand behind his head, flaunting his biceps. His biceps, will they be soft or hard?

"Jaan," His voice broke my trance and my cheeks gained color realizing I was caught ogling at my fiance. He gave me a teasing smile and I lowered my lashes not being able to hold his gaze.

"I will return tomorrow," I answered and we both talked for a while and wished each other good night. I then had my late dinner with my brothers and we all left for our respective rooms after exchanging good nights.

The next morning we all returned to our home and Atha along with Mumma were preparing breakfast in the kitchen while everyone else was in the hall discussing something. I and Bhabi moved to the kitchen to help the ladies while the others sat in the hall along with others joining the discussion.

"Vadina, today we have to make rice from the grains. I asked the maid to take out the things. Chaithamma, you and your sisters-in-law prepare dried coconuts and other required things that you want to decorate. We already got the required things. We hardly have 2 days left. We have to leave for the Palace on the third day." Atha instructed and I nodded at her. I and Ishika bhabi helped the ladies to serve the breakfast and we all had our breakfast. 

After that, we all got indulged in our respective work. Atha along with other married women made the rice from the grains while I, Ishika bhabi, and Vadina made different patterns on dried coconuts that would be used during the talambralu ritual,  the tumbler, and the plate which would be used for washing Daksh's feet by my brother.  We used pearls, emeralds, and other jewel stones to decorate them along with strings of gold as per Mumma's instructions.

The terasala and coconut will be decorated by the carpenter's family. The pot/ Garika muntha will be made by the potter and will be delivered directly on the day of the wedding. I requested Mumma to allow us to go there and decorate those and she finally agreed after Atha persuaded her. As per traditions, those things shouldn't be bought home before the time of the wedding so they will be delivered after we return to our ancestral village after our Rajasthani wedding.

"Chaithu, did you finalize the dishes for the events?" Vadina asked and I nodded at her in affirmation. I was given the responsibility of tasting and finalizing the dishes to be served at the wedding along with Hithu and Viv as everyone thought that would be the only work we could do without messing up. Very funny!

"We had tried everything and decided on a menu for each function. And as per Chaithu's order there won't be any nonveg or alcohol at the wedding and special care is taken about it," Hithu beamed and everyone nodded acknowledging. 

Yes, I banned alcohol from my wedding. I mean a wedding is such an auspicious occasion why bring alcohol into it? I strictly prohibited alcohol in any of the rituals so, there won't be any bachelorette or any other Western ritual at our wedding. I asked the boys to have a part a week before the rituals started if they wished to, but Daksh straight away rejected the offer saying they could have many occasions to drink and our wedding was not going to be one of them. He also commanded all his brothers not to play any games to mess with it and he wants everyone to be sober at our wedding.  Daksh also asked everyone not to plan any cake-cutting during any of the events as the cake will be eaten less and thrown at each other more. He said he doesn't want anyone to look like a clown with caked faces in our albums. After a little persuasion, he agreed to have a cake cutting during the reception.