Chapter 3

Most people would panic if they were suddenly hugged by someone they didn't recognize at first, but I didn't. Fennekin was growling on top of my head though, but as soon as the person released me, I knew who it was.

It was my childhood friend Lotus. Although a couple years older than me, me and her were the closest of friends. She was originally from Kalos but moved to Unova with her parents and started her Pokémon journey earlier than me there. We kept in contact, and she was one of the reasons why I wanted to start my Pokémon journey so bad.

She had dark brown shoulder length hair, that was curled at the bottom, with pink tints in certain lighting. She wanted to be a ghost type gym leader and travelled to different regions to gain experience.

"It's okay fennekin; this is my friend Lotus." I say to the little fox, who I could tell was still a little off standish.

"So, you've finally gotten a Pokémon?" Lotus said jokingly, and I couldn't help but playfully roll my eyes.

"No Lotus, no I didn't." I reply sarcastically, and Lotus laughed at little at this.

"You made a good choice with Fennekin. It's the Pokémon you've always wanted to be your starter right?" Lotus asks, and I nod.

"How have you been Lotus? Have you been in Kalos long?" I ask.

"Not really, only got here a couple days ago. Your mum told my mum that you had started your Pokémon journey, and you were on your way to Santalune city, so I thought I would meet you here." She replies, then stops abruptly.

"Since you've started your journey, I thought I would give you a gift for your journey. I remember you telling me this was one of your favourite Pokémon, so I thought I would catch one for you." She finishes, then after flashing me a brief smile, throws a pokeball into the air.

My eyes lit up when I saw which pokemon came out of the pokeball. It was a spring form deerling, and it curiously looked around, before it's eyes landed on me and fennekin.

"Hello there." I say, holding my hand out to it, as fennekin trots over the deerling, and proceeds to start communicating with it, in their own little pokemon language.

Deerling cautiously walks over to me after fennekin came back to me, and looked at me with curious eyes, before bowing it's head to me, essentially letting me pet it.

"She seems to trust you," Lotus starts, then continues after handing deerlings pokeball over to me, "Here's her pokeball. Look after her well."

"Ready to come with me deerling?" I say, holding deerlings pokeball out to her, and watched as she bumped her head on it, letting me know she trusted me and was ready to come on my journey.

I returned deerling to her pokeball, then immediately hugged Lotus.

"Thank you so much! I promise I'll look after her well." I say excitedly.

"You're welcome Yui," Lotus starts, hugging me back, before continuing, "You want to have a pokemon battle before you challenge the gym? It'll be a good chance to test your skills."

"I would love too. Let me just heal up my pokemon first." I reply, a determined look in my eyes, before quickly going to the Pokemon centre and healing my pokemon.

By the time I had arrived, Lotus had already sent out her Yamask on the patch of grass just outside the city. Since I knew her pokemon had way more experience than ours, I knew we couldn't win, but it would be good battle experience for Fennekin, Spewpa, and now deerling.

"Alright Fennekin, show time!" I say, and fennekin jumps onto the battle.

"First move is yours Yui." Lotus says, and I could hear the confidence in her voice.

"Alright Fennekin, use ember!" I command, and almost immediately fennekin spits a small fire from its mouth towards Yamask.

"Dodge it Yamask!" Lotus commands, and Yamask floats up out of the way.

After seeing the look in my eyes, Lotus smirks, "Just because you just started doesn't mean I'm going to go easy on you."

"I know but I at least expected you to let my first move hit" I whined, and Lotus laughs at little at this.

"Unfortunately, not Yui, the gym leader isn't going to go easy on you just because you just started." Lotus retorts.

"Yamask, use ominous wind!"

With that, a purple wind sweeps up, Fennekin barely being able to keep it's footing before being hit, causing it to fall.

"You can do it Fennekin, use ember again!" I shout. I didn't want to repeat using one move, but because fennekin only knew ember, tackle and growl, ember was the only move that could hit, since Yamask was a ghost type, and normal type moves have no effect on ghost types.

Fennekin once again spits a small fire from it's mouth towards Yamask, only this time it lands.

"Good job Yui. But don't get too confident!" Lotus says, then commands Yamask use shadow ball.

"Dodge it Fennekin!" I yell, panicking a little.

With that Fennekin proceeds to dodge it just in time.

Suddenly, an idea came up in my head.

"Fennekin, use ember, but aim for the mask!" I command, and Fennekin looks at me quizzically, before carrying out the command.

"Don't aim for the mask!" Lotus says, and I could hear the panic in her voice.

Ember lands, the mask Yamask was carrying is knocked to the ground. I could see Lotus' Yamask start to panic, as it frantically looks for the mask.

"Fennekin, use ember at Yamask, quick!" I command again, not giving the Yamask a chance to pick up the mask before it is hit.

"Keep using ember fennekin!"

With that, Fennekin proceeds to keep using ember, not giving Yamask a chance to pick the mask back up.

"I think I'm getting the hang of this!" I say cheerfully, and Lotus chuckles darkly.

"That's what you think Yui," Lotus starts, before smirking and saying, "Yamask, use disable!"

I knew that move. It didn't allow the pokemon to use the move it used last but disable only lasted for four moves.

"Yamask, use shadowball!"

"Keep dodging it Fennekin!"

With that Yamask proceeds to attack fennekin, but fennekin manages to dodge it

"One" I mumble under my breath, making sure lotus didn't hear me.

"Damn. Yamask, use Shadowball again!"

As if reading my mind, fennekin proceeds to dodge the shadowball again.

"Two" I mumbled again under my breath.

Lotus commands Yamask to use shadowball two more times, with me counting up to 4. Once I had reached four, I immediately said "Fennekin, keep using ember, but run in a circle around Yamask!"

"What are you..." I hear Lotus say, and I smirk.

"I may have just started my journey, but I didn't spend 8 years studying pokemon and pokemon battles for nothing!" I say, loud enough for her to hear with a determined look in my eye.

I could tell Lotus was getting agitated; she hated to lose.

After landing a few more successful hits, fennekin finally managed to defeat Lotus' Yamask.

I could see Lotus had look of anger, and she looked down. When she looked back up, she had a calmer look on her face, but I could see a hint of smugness on her face too.

"You did well Yui, especially since my pokemon have more experience than yours. But don't think I'll let you win overall!" Lotus says as she returns Yamask, and I call fennekin back.

"You did amazing fennekin!" I praised as fennekin jumped into my arms and licked my cheek.

"You did well Yamask, thank you." Lotus says, before sending out her next pokemon.

Lilligant.