Chapter 18

Once again, I woke up earlier than usual, both excited and nervous for my fifth gym battle challenge in Lumiose. Although I was certain we had done enough training to win, and although I had faith in my pokemon, I knew that anything could happen and there was still a chance we could lose.

I got dressed as quickly as I could, saying a quick goodbye to the professor, both thanking him for letting us stay again, and to tell Lotus where I had gone to. He said it was no problem and wished me luck on my gym battle.

Walking swiftly out, I walked as quickly as I could towards the Lumiose tower, where my gym battle would take place, admiring the beauty of the tower before I reached it. When I did, I stood outside for a moment, collecting my nerves as I took a deep breath, reminding myself that even if we lost it just meant we needed to train more, and we could always battle again as many times as it took to beat the gym.

Despite my efforts to calm my nerves, as I walked towards the battlefield, they only grew with each step I took. With my pokemon in their pokeballs and the battlefield fast approaching, I didn't really have much to help calm me down.

After the gym leader, Clemont, introduced himself and his younger sister Bonnie, we each took our places on each end of the battlefield, while the referee also explained the rules of the battle.

Once he had finished, the battle began.

Clemont started with magneton, and once the pokemon was sent out, I immediately knew who I was going to start with.

"Sawsbuck, show time!" I said, before sending Sawsbuck onto the battlefield.

"Ready to battle Sawsbuck?" I asked the deer, and it nodded with a determined look in its eye.

"Challenger has the first move!" The referee announced.

"Sawsbuck, use energy ball!"

Sawsbuck obeyed immediately, although Clemont told magneton to dodge, it didn't manage to move in time, making it get hit dead on with the energy ball.

"Good girl Sawsbuck" I whispered, just loud enough for her to hear.

"Use Electric terrain Magneton!" Clemont said.

As he did, a bright yellow light flashed from magneton, and once we could see again, the battlefield was a slight yellow colour, with electric zaps emitting from the ground every now and then.

Sawsbuck looked a little panicked by this, so I shouted, "Don't worry Sawsbuck! It'll be fine, I believe in you!"

Sawsbuck nodded at this and turned its attention back to Magneton. The electric terrain was going to pose a little bit of problem, since I knew it powered up electric type moves, but all we could do was do our best to dodge any electric type moves they used.

"Sawsbuck, use double kick!" I shouted, and Sawsbuck ran up to Magneton the moment the words left my mouth, hitting it with both of it's hind legs, making Magneton fall to the ground briefly.

By now, my nerves were disappearing, and I was getting more confident that we would win the battle.

"Use thunderbolt!" Clemont says to magneton, and the pokemon obeys immediately, making me panic a little bit.

"Sawsbuck, dodge it quick and use horn leech!" I said, in panic, hoping the attack would land and Sawsbuck would move quick enough to dodge the attack.

By now, Lotus had entered the gym and was sitting on the sideline with her serperior, silently encouraging me and watching the battle carefully.

Much to my relief, Sawsbuck managed to dodge in term, landing the horn leech attack shortly after, dealing more damage to magneton.