Chapter 5

I had lost.

It was expected of course, since Lotus' pokemon had more experience and were more powerful than mine, but it still hurt.

I walked over to fennekin and picked her up, placing a soft kiss on her ear.

"You did amazingly, thank you so much" I whisper to her.

Walking over to me, Lotus says, "You did good Yui, especially for your first pokemon battle. Let's get the little ones healed up okay?" ruffling my hair shortly after.

I smile slightly as we make our way to the pokemon center.

Once my pokemon were healed, I sent everybody out just outside the pokemon center.

"Thank you all so much for putting in all the effort you did, I'm glad to call you all my partners." I smile at them, and they all immediately jump on me, knocking me to the ground, but I wasn't hurt; I was laughing.

"We're all going to do our best for the gym, and we will beat Viola!" I encouragingly say to them, before returning deerling and spewpa into their pokeballs.

"So Lotus," I start as we walk towards the gym, "Is it still a dream of yours to meet the Hoenn champion, Steven Stone?"

"N-no, why would you think that? It's not like I like him or anything!" She says defensively, before looking in the opposite direction to me. Unknown to her, I could still see the slight blush that had dusted her cheeks.

"W-what about you! Do you still want to meet Wallace~" Lotus retorts back, smirking.

My face immediately heated up, and not being able to find the right words, I immediately looked in the opposite direction, adding a small 'of course' under my breath, not meaning for Lotus to hear.

As soon as she bursts out laughing though, I knew she heard me.

I had admired Wallace for a long time, as soon as I took an interest in performance and coordinating. I admired not only the fact he was a top coordinator in the Hoenn region, but the fact he was the final gym leader trainers had to face before they could challenge the Hoenn league.

"Someone has a crush~" Lotus teases, and I lightly smack her on the arm and mumble a small 'shut up' just loud enough for her to hear.

Fennekin must have been confused, as I could almost feel her looking at me quizzically.

"Yeah well... you have a crush on Steven, so I don't want to hear you say anything." I retort, a smug smirk on my face.

"I don't have a crush on him, I just a-admire him!" Lotus replies, the blush darkening on her cheeks.

"Keep telling yourself that, I know the truth~" I say in a sing-song style voice, just as we arrive at the gym.

As we both enter, I could feel Lotus' burning gaze at the back of my head, and I knew poor fennekin was scared, since she jumped into my arms rather than staying on my head.

We finally reached the battle arena where we would battle Viola.

"Welcome challenger, to the Santalune gym! I'm Viola, the gym leader." Viola welcomes us as she sees us.

"Nice to meet you Viola, I'm Yui." I reply.

"Are you ready to challenge me now?" she inquires.

"I am indeed." I reply, a determined look on both mine and fennekin's face.

"Alright, let's get started shall we!" Viola says as she takes her position on the other side of the battlefield.

"The battle will be a two on two battle. When both pokemon on either side have fainted, the battle is over. The challenger may switch out between their two pokemon freely." The referee, one of Viola's helpers at the gym said.

"You send out your pokemon first Yui!" Viola calls, and I immediately take deerling's pokeball off my belt.

"Time to take the stage Deerling!" I say as I throw deerling's pokeball in the air, and deerling came out immediately.

I could see Lotus give me a thumbs up from the stands and gives me an encouraging smile.

"Surskit let's go!" Viola calls and sends out Surskit.

With that, the battle had begun.

"First move is yours challenger." Viola says.

"Deerling, use sand attack!" I call, and Deerling immediately kicks up dirt when the ground towards Surskit, hitting it dead on.

"Surskit, use ice beam on the ground!" Viola commands, and Surskit obeys, covering the ground in a beautiful light blue blanket.

"Jump deerling!" I quickly say as the ice beam came towards deerling.

As soon as deerling jumped, I knew I had to find some way for deerling to keep its balance. I looked up at deerling, and immediately knew what move to use.

"Deerling! Use double kick on the ground before you land!" I shouted, and deerling nodded at me, doing as I said before it hit the ground.

Just as deerling did, another idea crossed my mind.

"Use double kick again on the ice in front of you!" I command, and deerling obeys, kicking the ice, making a few shards land on Surskit, dealing damage.

"Smart of you to use the battlefield like that" Viola praises me, before telling Surskit to use bubble.

Deerling was hit, but I could tell it wasn't very effective since deerling didn't even flinch.

"Use tackle deerling!" I command again, and deerling hits Surskit dead on.

After a few more commands from me to deerling and commands from Viola to Surskit, I had finally beaten her Surskit.

"Well done for defeating my Surskit, but can you defeat this one!" She says as she sends out her Vivillion.

"Return deerling!" I say, then looking at fennekin, I conclude with, "ready to go?"

Fennekin nods and immediately jumps into action.

"Your fennekin seems as determined at you are." Viola remarks and I agree with her.

"Fennekin, use ember!" I say, and fennekin immediately obeys.

Viola unfortunately tells her Vivillion to dodge, and ember just misses it.

"You can do it Fennekin, I know you can. The training with Lotus wasn't for nothing!" I state, and fennekin nods at me with a determined look in its eye.

After Viola commands her Vivillion to use tackle, which fennekin dodges, I command fennekin to use ember on the battlefield, since it was still covered in ice from deerling's battle with Surskit.

"run around Vivillion and use ember fennekin!" I command and fennekin immediately acts, running around Vivillion while using ember.

Vivillion tries to attack, but since fennekin doesn't stay in one place, all the attacks miss and eventually, falls to the ground.

"Vivillion is unable to battle, which means the victor is the challenger, Yui!" The referee announces, and fennekin immediately runs over to me and jumps in my arms.

"We did it fennekin!" I cheer, holding fennekin in the air. Fennekin yips happily, before Lotus comes over and hugs me.

"I'm so proud of you! Well done Yui." Lotus praises, ruffling my hair as she did so.

Viola comes over to us and congratulates me on my win, handing me the bug badge as she did so.

I did it.

I won my first gym badge.