CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: TO STAKE A CLAIM

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

There were other places Caspian would rather be than here drinking whiskey with old men who had nothing better to do than assess his life and the way he does things but he preferred this to out there with all the people trying to talk to him.

His wife was under the watch of Lincoln and according to the latest text he got, she was quite comfortable with Bianca. Caspian was a little sceptical to trust Katherine with Lincoln but unlike what others knew about Lincoln, Caspian knew that his Katherine couldn't be safer.

Caspian silently sipped on his drink and acted absentminded but he was listening and watching. He may not be willing to entertain these men but sometimes they were onto something. He was always watching and always listening.

"I heard how easily you accquired Robert's company." One of the old men said. Matthews Signfield

Caspian didn't bother to give a reply.
This men were always trying to get a reaction from him, they were fascinated with him for some reason and Caspian had to seat through it because of his father. On the better side of things, some of these men mouth loosens up a little after few glasses of whiskey and these are powerful men with as much Influence as his father. Caspian was not willing to form an alliance, he always seek to have the upper hand, always.

"You know, he's a good friends of mine." The man continued.

Caspian knew that but he wasn't ready to indulge the man.

"It's impressive how you took his company right from under him before he could even blink."

"He served it to me on a silver platter why wouldn't I." Caspian spoke for the first time since they gathered.

At first all of them talked about Florence Montgomery. Caspian had listened to them. Although Caspian had never met her, he has heard all about her and he knew all about her. They were similar in some ways and he could see that they might have gotten along together but she's dead and Caspian wasn't planning on joining her anytime soon.

"He did, didn't he?" Matthews has always been intrigued with Caspian. He wished he had a son like him. The truth was that all of them seated here wishes that their son was more like Caspian Montgomery. Authur's son was a business prodigy when he was young. He had the wits, the smarts and the cunning since he was a child and he had the heart to handle it and when he grew his power just grew more.

Some of them in the room could see themselves in Caspian, but they knew he was more than they could have ever dreamed of. Authur Montgomery raised his son to be strong enough to make the Montgomerys empire grow. But that didn't mean that they feel threatened by him.

Caspian Montgomery has no regard for anyone and he does not fear anyone. He is a man with the power and connection. A man with a power like his left unchecked would be more of a threat than he is now. But they couldn't help but wish that the future of their empires was in his hands.

"Yes. It was a mistake for him to put his business in inexperienced and immature hands." Another grey haired man interjected.

"But I don't believe that they would have fallen apart that fast." Matthews eyed Caspian suspiciously.

"Are you accusing my son of something? Matthews." Authur interfered this time. Of course he knew that his son did something but these men were already threatened by his son, he didn't want to give them another reason to. It could lead to paranoia and paranoid people tends to do dangerous things, he was more worried of what his son would do if this men acted on those paranoid feelings.

"I don't know Authur am I?" Mathews challenged.

Caspian's lips rose in a smirk at the little subtle challenge of power going on right now. Caspian was well aware of what Matthews thought of him, as well as every other old bastard seating down right now. He honestly couldn't be bothered but no one should openly challenge Authur Montgomery, especially in his own home. Caspian was dangerous but he picked after someone. Everyone knew that and victor knew that for certain and it was the reason he immediately interfered.