Chapter 12: Vermilion Gym Battle

Ash and Alice arrive at Professor Cerise's Lab, they have greeted Professor Cerise, and research assistants Chrysa and Ren. Cerise says, "Well it sure has been nice to see you again, Ash. How are you doing?"

"I am doing great, thanks, Professor." Ash says, and then he introduces Alice to them, and they are surprised to learn that Ash gets himself a girlfriend. "By the way, are Chloe and Goh here?" Ash asks.

"Sad to say they haven't come back from their journey yet." Cerise says, "So what are you two doing?"

Alice says, "Well, Ash gets himself a challenge once he heads back to Pallet Town, and the one that gives him the challenge is no other than Mr. Goodshow, the Chairman of the PLA. He decides to give Ash a challenge in order to have him become the first Pokemon Master of the world."

"Is that so, that sounds interesting." Cerise says. "What kind of challenge if I may ask?"

After showing him the list, Cerise is very surprised at the challenges, which are very tough and hard. Ash says, "And you see, Professor, I already have five badges and two ribbons, I know it sounds very intriguing, but at first Mr. Goodshow wants me to only record the data of all the Pokemon, but Arceus has to change it so that I am going to capture all the Pokemon in the world."

"That sounds like what Goh will do." Cerise laughs a little. "So I assume that you are not here for a long stay, right? You are heading towards the Vermilion City Gym to battle Lt. Surge, right?"

"That's right." Ash says. "But now that I think of it, Professor, can I ask you something?"

"And what is it?" Professor asks. Ash says, "When we met Go and Chloe back at the Viridian City, we heard that you have been working on the portable teleporter, is it possible that we can have one?"

Cerise thinks for a second and he says, "Usually I won't try to hand out this machine to the others, but since you were once a research assistant of mine, I think maybe I can help you with it."

"You mean it?" Alice asks in surprise as he nods, "Why of course, after all, you have been quite a talk after being the first one to beat the Undefeatable Champion Leon and the fact that you are also the one that destroys every criminal group in the regions."

"Thanks a lot, Professor." Ash says, Cerise says, "But however, it is still in the testing stage, I say how about you battle the Gym Leader first, once you are finished, then you can head back to my lab and get it?"

"Sure, Professor." Ash says as they bid farewell to the Professor and his research assistants as they head to Vermilion City.

"Hey Ash, look at that ship!" Alice points at the harbor in the distance as they see a luxurious cruise in front of them. Ash says, "Is that the S.S Anne? I thought that it sank when I last ride one."

"Well, it seems like it is newly built." Alice says. "As much as we want to ride on it, but we have a Gym Battle to go."

"Yeah, you're right." Ash says as they go towards the gym, once they get inside, they see Lt. Surge finish battling an opponent. The opponent sadly looks at his fallen Pokemon and quickly rushes it to the Pokemon Center.

"Well, what do we have here? If it isn't Ash himself." Lt. Surge greets the boy and Ash says, "Lt. Surge, it sure has been a while."

After shaking hands, he says, "I have heard from my substitute Visquez that you have beaten her in a battle, you sure have been doing well, huh?"

"Yeah." Ash says, "The reason I am here is to challenge the gym again, I want to enter the league once more and this time I am not going to hold back as well."