Chapter 28: Seafoam Islands

Ash and Alice are now off the ship as they arrive at the Seafoam Islands, they notice how Brock is being depressed as they walk past them. Alice says, "So Ash, are we going to find Blaine, the gym leader?"

"Of course, but before that, I want to capture some Pokemon." Ash says. "And I am pretty sure that we can find some of them in the cave."

"You're right." Alice says as they enter the Seafoam Islands, Brock decides to follow them as he tries to make sure that the two of them are safe in their travels.

But just before they can enter the cave, they notice a Scyther using Slash on the rocks with anger and frustration. "This isn't a place where Scyther lives." Alice says.

"I wonder what's going on?" When Ash is about to approach the Scyther, the Scyther is about to attack them. Ash manages to dodge the attack and tries to reason with the Scyther and has Mewtwo keep him in place so they can talk. It turns out that Scyther was abandoned by a trainer who lost to Blaine in a gym battle and release him there. Feeling pity for the Scyther, Ash asks Scyther to give him a chance and he will treat all Pokemon with love and care. The Scyther eventually agrees and joins Ash's team.

"That Scyther really has a rough past..." Alice says with a frown.

"I know, but a lot of my Pokemon were once abandoned, so I'm sure they can help Scyther get used to us." Ash replies.

Once they enter the place, they find an Ice Type Pokemon that Alice is glad to see, a Jynx. Ash says, "Why are you excited to see a Jynx?"

"Well, I heard that Santa Claus has Jynx as helpers to send presents to children. So I have been excited to see a Jynx."

"I see, you know, I have seen a real Santa Claus before." Ash says after capturing the Jynx with the help of Rapidash.

"Really? You traveled to the North Pole and meet Santa on your own?" Alice says, "You are so lucky."

"I know." Ash says, "But where will Blaine be..."

As they continue moving in the caves, they finally find the gym, which has a small Pokeball icon on it. "So this is it. The former Cinnabar Gym."

"Yeah." Ash says. Then they hear a laugh, "I eat, I live. I breathe, I live. I drink, I die. What am I?"

"That will be fire." Ash says as he turns around, "Blaine, it is nice to see you again."

The man laughs and says, "It is indeed a while that we have met, young Ash. I assume that you are here to visit my new gym?"

"Of course, I am also here for my fourteenth badge." Ash says with a determined smile.

"Well then, how about we go inside the gym for what you want?" Blaine says as they walk into the gym, it is surrounded by fire, but Ash and Alice feel warm more than hot.

"So what are the rules?" Ash asks.

Blaine sends out his first Pokemon, which is an Arcanine. Ash sends out Arbok as his first Pokemon, with the Intimidate, it lowers the Pokemon's attack. Arcanine goes for Extreme Speed, which hits the Pokemon.

"That sure is a speedy dog." Ash says, "Use Poison Tail."

Arbok lands the attack on the Pokemon, as it gets knocked back to the wall. But Arcanine gets back up as it uses Outrage, and Arbok uses the Glare to stop it, also paralyzing it. In the end, both Pokemon faint after the Outrage manages to go through and the fact that Arbok uses Mud Bomb at the same time.

Blaine sends out a Ninetales as his next Pokemon, and Ash chooses Golem. Golem starts with a Rock Throw, while Ninetales uses a Flamethrower to break into pieces and hits Golem. Thanks to his drought ability, he fires a powerful Solar Beam, Golem dodges it by using Double-Edge, and it hits Ninetales. Ninetales then uses Confuse Ray, making Golem confused and shooting Rock Blasts everywhere.