The Lies We Tell (part one):

--------------------

LIE ONE- Antonio :

--------------------

Camilo and Antonio had been sitting in the living room drawing for a little over an hour, Camilo deciding to draw his pet chameleon Hero as Antonio drew a large assortment of animals, the most commonly drawn being Antonio and Luisa's favourite Capybaras.

Antonio's entire sheet of paper was coved and a few of the animals weren't coloured correctly but Antonio was proud of it nonetheless.

"Cami, do you like my drawing?" Antonio wondered, holding his drawing up so his big brother could see it better.

"I-I" Camilo thought really hard on what to say, in all honesty, there was just too much going on with the different colours and animals in his opinion.

"I really like that Capybara" Camilo smiled pointing at one of the things he really did like.

"Really?" Antonio smiled, staring proudly at the Capybara.

"Yeah, of course, I wouldn't lie to you".

and technically Camilo was being honest he hadn't lied, he had just left out a piece of information in order to spare Antonio's feelings.

"Can we play hide and seek?" Antonio requested tilting his head slightly to the left.

"Yeah sure, but it won't be all too much fun just the two of us, why don't you go find Tiò Bruno?" Camilo chuckled, ruffling Antonio's hair before the kid ran off.

---------------------

LIE TWO- Pepa:

---------------------

Camilo quickly rushed downstairs, he'd accidentally slept in and he had a heap of chores to do.

Camilo rushing as much as he was without paying much mind to the world around him ran into poor Isabela.

"Sorry Isa" Camilo apologised as he rushed past his very confused and startled cousin, and Into the kitchen.

"Good morning Abuela" Camilo mumbled as he ran past.

"No running in the casita" Abuela yelled at him.

"Right," Camilo walked slower until he was out of Abuela's view.

Camilo bolted into the dining room being met by his mother.

"Morning Mamì" Camilo smiled giving his mum a hug before starting to walk away.

"Wait, have you eaten yet?" Pepa asked, staring at her son.

"Yes Mamì, I've got to get going, I promised to babysit this morning" Camilo lied.

Camilo had lied to his Mamì and there was nothing he could say to himself to deny that, but it was a necessary lie, if he'd told the truth then Pepa would've made him stay longer to eat breakfast, making him behind on all the things he had to do that day, he had to lie to keep the order.

---------------------

LIE THREE- Bruno

---------------------

Camilo had remembered very little about his Tiò Bruno until his return, he remembered all the stories he'd heard about him but not his Tiò exactly.

The people of the Encanto including his family had spoken about Bruno as if he was a burden and a monster and Camilo didn't know enough to disagree but the one memory that he had left of Bruno was a good one.

Camilo was young very young maybe three or four and he'd convinced Bruno to go outside with him to play.

that was during Camilo's hardcore rock-loving phase, and no not rock as in the music, rock as in literal rocks.

Camilo had fallen over and scraped his knees and was crying and it was clear Bruno was panicking so he picked up the closest rock to him and just handed it to him.

"Look kid, it's shaped like a heart" Bruno smiled.

"Butt".

"oh well yeah, I guess it does look like a butt upside down hu?" Bruno chuckled.

Camilo had kept his rock for years and he found it very special, so when Bruno brought up the memory thinking Camilo would've not remembered he wanted to go grab the rock to show he'd kept it.

as Camilo pulled the Butt or heart-shaped rock out of the box of the things he found sentimental he dropped it and it broke in two.

Camilo hadn't the heart to explain he'd broken the very special rock, lied, claiming he'd lost it but he hoped he'd find it again soon.

Camilo saw his lie to Bruno to be the same as the lie to Antonio, he was protecting their feelings.