Shoes

Your anger had risen within you almost instantly as Jake's face had sunk into your mind and you had marched up to him and spoken to him in a way that left him stunned.

"What the heck are you doing here? Ain't no way you and I were ever a thing! Oh, my mind is running laps right now! Just what even!"

"Excuse me?..." He replied and tried to comprehend the words you had used. "I am afraid I didn't quite catch the words you used to address me, my lady. "

"What thing were you and him?" Hoseok added in utter confusion as he appeared by your side, making you leave a deep exhale of frustration.

"I want to k-word him right now yet I have to deal with vocabulary. Are you serious?" You looked towards the sky in frustration and Jake and Hoseok looked at each other, both wondering what 'k-word him' means.

"My lady, have you been studying some foreign dialect? I am afraid I am not familiar with it. However for you, I shall learn. " Jake replied and Hoseok just shrugged his shoulders in surrender for he couldn't figure it out and you just hung your head in defeat.

"Let's just go buy those clothes and leave already" You changed the subject and started walking ahead entering a shop that was nearby and the two followed along, perplexed over your unusual behaviour.

"I am looking for a pair of shoes please." You spoke to the shopkeeper and Hoseok added in as he quickly rushed by your side.

"A fine pair if you must. Your best quality. "

"Don't worry I can afford it I promise. There's no need for your to feel uncomfortable. I won't embarrass you in front of your fiance." He reassured you in a whispering tone as he had assumed that your mood was ruined because you considered Jake's presence there dangerous.

He was from a wealthy family and you were just an orphan that had no wealth in her name. So maybe -Hoseok had guessed- that you just didn't want him to see you as inferior.

You just smiled at him despite the fact that he was way off and walked towards Jake who was standing near the door, with a polite smile on his face.

"Look here you...I don't know what's going on but there's no way you have feelings for me" You straight out told him in a lower tone just to make sure none would hear you and he replied despite the fact that he appeared still confused over your behaviour.

"Of course not. You agreed to be my wife and I would make sure to financial contribute to maintain the orphanage. "

"Now it makes sense...but still why would you want to marry me. What's your benefit on the issue?" You raised an eyebrow at him, full of suspicions.

"My lady, we have discussed this already. Shall I worry? Have you withstood any head injury?" Jake reached his hand to touch your head in worry but you quickly slapped his hand away, shocking him.

"Doesn't matter! Just respond to what I am asking already!" You demanded as you stared him down and he looked slightly scared as he replied.

"You are the only one that accepted my hand in marriage. Because of my decease, I have been unable to wed despite my good qualifications. " You took a moment to process his words then just turned around and started looking for a mirror, which you found in a corner of the shop.

"How could I be so stupid?" You spoke to your reflection in a low whisper full of agitation for you were realizing what big mistake you had made in your past life.

You accepted to marry someone you didn't love for the sake of securing the well-being of the orphanage and sacrificing your happiness and your feelings for Hoseok simply because you thought of them to have been one-sided, to begin with.