Volume 5- Chapter 8: Spring's End

Raven deactivates her Maiden powers as she turns the vault door and begins walking towards it.

(Y/n) maintains watching her every move, wondering what she was going to do. She gets right in front of the door and activates her Maiden powers once again.

This time she begins opening the door, and eventually, it does just that. Opening up to a bright room that is a desert with a path that led to a pedestal that held the relic of knowledge. Right as she was about to enter the vault though,

"Alright, I can't let this go on further." (Y/n) says.

"Well, what are you going to do?"

"You opened it, that's great, but I can't allow you to take it."

"And I once again ask, what are you going to do?"

Before the two can initiate anything, they heard the noise of a gun being cocked, so they turn to the noise, seeing Yang standing before them with her gauntlet aimed at her mother and missing her robotic arm, probably due to what she had to do to get into the vault.

"He isn't doing anything, 'cause I am." Yang says.

Raven chuckles as she faces her daughter.

"I warned you, Yang. I gave you every opportunity to walk away from Qrow and Oz. So you can believe me when I say this wasn't personal." Raven says.

Yang glares at her mother and says, "You opened the vault."

"Thanks to the chaos you and your friends caused upstairs. I knew you could handle it. You're my daughter after all." Raven says.

"Qrow and Oz told me how the Maiden powers are transferred. The girl you found... she would've had to have trusted you if you were in her final thoughts - cared about you a lot." Yang says.

"I'm sure they told you plenty, and you just sat and obeyed."

"No, I'm starting to ask questions like you said. So tell me... what happened to the last Spring Maiden? Did she die in battle? Was it sickness?" Yang asks, getting more and more angered.

"What does it matter to you?" Raven says.

Yang's eyes widen in surprise as she says, "I can already see the answer. It's all over your face. How could you?!"

"She was scared when we found her! Weak. No matter how much training I put her through, she never learned! She wasn't cut out for this world! And with those powers, she would've been hunted her entire life! What I did-" Raven says but was cut off with,

" 'Wasn't personal' ", A quoting of her mother's own speech that came from Yang.

"It was mercy!" Raven says.

"Which is it, Mom? Are you merciful, or are you a survivor? Did you let me walk into that trap because you knew I could handle it, or because it meant you could get what you wanted?!" Yang says.

"It's not that simple. You don't know me, you don't know what I've been through, the choices I've had to make!" Raven says.

"You're right. I don't know you. I only know the Raven dad told me about. She was troubled, and complicated, but she fought for what she believed in, whether it was her team or her tribe! Did you kill her too?" Yang says.

Raven's eyes widen as she looks away, but quickly looks back at Yang.

"I've stared death in the face over and over again!" Raven says, and through her anger, her Maiden powers activate as she says,

"And every time I've spat in that face and survived because I'm strong enough to do what others won't!!"

"Oh, shut up!! You don't know the first thing about strength! You turn your back on people, you run away when things get too hard, you put others in harm's way instead of yourself! You might be powerful, but that doesn't make you strong."