Tragedy and Comedy

"Tragedy, and comedy. Two sides of the same dramatic coin."
Melanie and I came in late, interrupting the drama teacher. He gave us an angry glare.
"And we are going to be exploring both in this play!" He turned to us.
"Even, the late comers."
The whole class turned to us and stared. Melanie blushed from embarrassment while I gave the class a "What!?" Look.
"Alright everyone, look at your books and the roles you've been assigned." The drama teacher proclaimed.
"Right so about that." Melanie spoke up.
"Uhm, is it possible to get assigned a different role?" Melanie asked in a shy tone but spoke confidently. The teacher raised an eyebrow.
"Maybe one that's not so...domestic?" I added.
The class turned to us.
"Like a film director. Or the president of the United States-"
"A Harlot perhaps!?" The teacher interrupted Melanie and laughed at her.
Her eyes glistened with angry tears. My face was red with rage, and my eyes flickered that same black again. A boy in-front of us turned around and said,
"President? What a joke. Your kind is too soft and too sensitive to handle a man's job."
I wanted to smack him, but in response, Melanie spoke the same words I said to her on the bus.
"Having a larger capacity to feel and express emotion are one of the many qualities that make us superior to your kind." Melanie spoke with a smirk.
The way I felt was indescribable. I was so proud of Melanie for finally accepting and loving herself, even if being a "crybaby" is who she is. I grabbed her hand and smiled so widely that I feel like she knew what I was thinking. She blushed and then turned back to the boy. The class was shocked by her words and the girls looked so seen and heard. Melanie stood up, looked at the boy and said,
"Everyone is so soft and sensitive. Do I offend you? Your hanging on my sentences." She turned to the drama teacher.
"You can keep your costume and your mask. I'ma take a bow so you can kiss my ass. I never signed up for your drama, or your drama club." She said with a "fuck you" tone.
"Security!" He yelled. I stood up with black eyes and made him fall to the ground. She was dragged away by the security and forced backstage. The lights went out and everyone was staring on stage. I looked around to see everyone wide eyed and blankly staring into nothing. I was confused, and then Melanie stepped onto stage. Her hair, dress, and makeup was stunning, but she looked pissed as she walked out to the front of the stage, and started to act.