Its not like Melanie has a crush on her.

It was winter break, and I went home to Melanie's family after they offered so kindly, since my mum couldn't care to answer any calls.

"Thank you so much for letting me stay over Mr and Mrs. Martinez! I'm extremely grateful!" I politely said while bowing slightly, something I subconsciously do out of respect and gratitude.
"No problem Y/N! Melanie has told us all about what an amazing person you are! We're glad to have you stay! And welcome home Melanie!" Melanie's mother spoke while giving us hugs, kissing Melanie on the cheek making her smile.

"Here's the problem." Her father said while sucking air in through his teeth. "You'll have to sleep with Melanie because we don't have a spare bed."
I instantly became super flustered.
"Her brothers friend is over at our house and he has the other room." He spoke.
"Yeah that's my bad! I'm Joseph by the way." Melanies younger brother spoke holding out his hand for me to shake. I shook it and smiled. "Nice to meet you! And it's fine I get it." I replied.

"Well that shouldn't be a problem!" Her mother cheerily said.
"It's not like Melanie has a crush on Y/N or anything!" Her mother said happily.
This whole time I hadn't looked at Melanie, but now I'm looking at her in confusion. I didn't notice Joseph seeing my reaction, to which he looked at us suspiciously.
"Here Y/N! Let me show you my room!" Melanie spoke. She grabbed my hand and dragged me upstairs.
"My brother and I have the entire upstairs to ourselves! And it's pretty big too." She said with relief.
"That's so cool! I wish I had an upstairs! My mum would never let me have a whole upstairs to myself." I said to Melanie nonchalantly.

She took my hand and walked to her bed.
"Y/N, can you tell me about your Mother?" Melanie asked gently and hesitantly.
I gasped slightly and quietly and instantly felt  my eyes sting with water hearing her words. My heart started to pound and I felt short of breath. I didn't want to open up to anyone. I try to come up with an excuse so I don't have to answer the question, unpacking my things in the corner as a way to distract myself because I will NOT be crying infront of Melanie.
"Oh! My mother. Well...I...I-It's...." My voice was cracking and my eyes were sad and teary. I didn't know what to say. My mother is a piece of shit who's abused me my whole life? No, I cant say that. I don't want her to worry about me.
"Why don't you want me to worry about you Y/N?" Melanie said aloud, her eyes black. I looked up at her in shock and surprise. I was still so caught off guard by her question in the first place I didn't even notice she could hear my thoughts. I had to say something to try to brush this off. I open my mouth to try to make an excuse or a brief answer.
"M-My mother is...she isn't-"
Just then Melanie tucked my hair behind my ear, and hugged me, taking me by surprise and catching me completely off guard. I felt my breath hitch and my heart pound.
"I-I appreciate the hugs M-Melanie b-but trust me I-it's really fine-" I say to Melanie not really reciprocating the hug because I know if I did I would start crying on this poor girl. Melanie pulled back and looked me in the eyes, her deep brown eyes staring right through me.
"I know when you lie Y/N. Magnolia told me about some of the things that went on at your house after the sleepover, and they were horrific. I can't believe you were put through those things, darling. I know you're not okay, and I can see every day just by your mannerisms how it's affected you. Even my mother mentioned how polite you are. Not that it's a bad thing, but the reasonings for how your politeness came to be is a bad thing. You're terrified of being abandoned, and of being screamed at, aren't you?" Melanie asked me, leaving me looking at her in shock, as pale as a ghost. I swallowed thickly and I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing would come out. I have no idea how she could see through me that well, I always thought I kept myself pretty held together, but now I know that good people like Melanie, see right through me. I try to speak.
"I-I-I-...i-it's n-n-not...I-i-it's n-n-not l-like t-that...I-I-I just-just..." I stutter and look at her desperately trying to think of how I could turn this conversation around. Melanie frowned and looked into my eyes, she grabbed my hands in hers.
"It all makes sense now! When you were trying to shrink and be small during nap time in class 222, how you're always saying your hearing is pretty bad, when I told you I loved you when we were still just friends, all of those times, it was because you were terrified, and made to believe you were lesser than everyone."
She then paused. I couldn't even speak.
"I care about you so much Y/N. It's perfectly fine if you don't want to talk about it, but I want to know how you became the most amazing person you are today. You've helped me with so much, and I want to return the favour." Melanie says to me with a gentle smile, which completely ruined my plan because I felt tears well up in my eyes. I had 2 pools of tears covering the bottom of my eyes, and I just kept trying not to blink.
"Nonononononono! Noooo!" I thought to myself as Melanie looked at me in concern, and I started to bawl my eyes out and cry like a baby. Melanie frowned and hugged me very tightly, holding me and pulling me in to hug me tighter. It was weird that Im crying because I've never opened up fully to anyone, and she's made me open up so easily.
"Wanna know something?" I asked, choking on my tears. Melanie frowned and looked me in my eyes.
"My mother is an alcoholic piece of shit." I muttered while laughing softly, trying to brush this off, but obviously sobbing like a little baby. I told her some stories from my house, to which she gasped and hugged me in sympathy. I dug my face into her shoulder and just sat there for a while trying to pull myself together.
"Im sorry about this...I didnt excpect to cry like this...!" I say to Melanie as she pets my hair.
"No don't apologize! You have nothing to apologize for! I was the one who asked, darling." Melanie said sweetly and affectionately as she hugs me very tightly.
"Im so sorry Y/N." Melanie quietly said.
"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" She spoke, playing with my hair.
"It's just not that relevant." I said as I pulled away and wiped my face.
"Y/N what do you me-" Melanie started, but just then her father came in and told us dinner was ready.
"We should go now." I said as I grabbed her hand and pulled her downstairs. I wanted to ask her about what her mother said.
"My mum doesn't know I'm a lesbian because she me never cared to ask. I don't know about Melanie though! Maybe she's too shy? Or hasn't brought it up yet?" I thought. But before I could say anything, Melanie grabbed my hand and pulled me downstairs.

We went downstairs, and about 20 minutes passed and we started to joke a little bit. I blushed from how adorable Melanie was being.
"Why are you blushing?" Meanie asked in a joking manner.
"Your mum." I spoke while a smirk while biting my lip, which earned me a punch to the arm.
"Y/N I KNOW YOU ARE NOT SIMPING FOR MY MOM RIGHT NOW." She giggled as we went to the dinner table. I simply laughed and giggled and blushed as we were waking there. There was tons of beautiful food, and my favorite, bao dumplings!
"Thank you so much!" I said to her parents. They smiled in return.
"So what happened?" Her brother said as he looked at Melanie, referring to Melanie and I being very close together and being very tired. Since I have bad hearing, I didn't hear him at first. I looked up to see he had the same tooth gap as Melanie did. I was gobsmacked.
"The tooth gap must run in their family?" I thought. Melanie looked at me and said, "We're just tired from the trip! Don't worry about it." She said in a nervous way. I then faintly blushed and cleared my throat when I remember what happened last night.
"I know when you lie." Her brother whispered, obviously suspicious. I went wide eyed.
"These two are so damn similar." I thought with a giggle. I was referring to when Melanie and I were at the sleepover and she said the same thing to me, "I know when you lie."
"It's none of your business." She whispered back, talking in an annoyed "Joseph if you don't stop being nosy I swear-"  Type of way.
"Is she genuinely upset?" I thought as I saw Melanie slowly stabbing her vegetables on her plate. We finished dinner and thanked her parents, Melanie racing upstairs before I did.
"What's up with her?" I asked aloud while cleaning up my dish like the polite hoe I am, almost talking to myself.
"I must have hit a heart string. I'm sure you know Melanie has always been a bit of a crybaby." Joseph spoke while shrugging and walking to his room. Yeah, I did know. The first time I met her she was crying.