005

"How nice?" I sighed when we arrived on the surface. "Where to?"

"That city." Thomas pointed at something under the mountain and soon we started walking.

"So this maze of y'all?" I questioned Newt. "What was it like?"

"You had this big field in the middle, called the Glade." He explained. "It was surrounded by the maze."

"How long were you in there?" I wondered, not very impressed yet.

"Three years, maybe longer." Newt shrugged.

"It took you three years to find a way out of a maze?" I chuckled, not really knowing what the maze actually looked like. WICKED did mention it, but never showed me.

Minho sped up his pace so he walked next to us. "It's not that easy, you know? The maze moved."

"Moved?" I frowned.

"Go in a specified direction or manner.." Minho grinned. "That's moving."

"Wow, really? I never knew." I rolled my eyes. "But moving? How?"

"Well, the stone just.. moved," Minho said. "But then our Thomas here came up in the Box and he changed everything. Thought it was smart and that he was so brave to run into the maze before those Doors closed. We got locked up in there, survived, and he killed a Griever. Long story short, we found a way out."

"Mhm." I nodded.

"And what about you? What have you been doing these years?"

"Helping Holt," I replied fast, not wanting to tell them anything, to be honest. "How many people were in the..."

"Glade." Newt corrected.

"Right." I smiled, happy I changed the subject.

"About forty," Minho responded, lowering his voice. "All boys and one girl."

The realization hit me hard. "But there's only five of you here and no girl." I looked up at Minho, whose face tensed by now. "Did they-."

"Die? Yes." He swallowed. "The girl disappeared. Instead of finding her, we found Aris. He wasn't in our maze. He was in another one."

"Aah." I nodded again, knowing very well there were other mazes, actually.

"Is Holt your father?" Minho questioned.

"No." I felt my heartbeat speed up. They couldn't ask so much about me!

"Can you tell us what happened to your parents?" Newt wondered carefully, eyes kind.

"No," I said once again, speeding up my pace.

Minho sighed by the fact I didn't answer them. "How long have you known this Holt?"

"About two years— shorter, maybe." The hairs on my arms went up, easily showing off either how scared or nervous I was.

"And before that?" Thomas asked as he walked in front of us.

"Does it matter?"

"It kinda does if you want to earn our trust."

"You literally begged me to come with you guys, man." I laughed it off. "Don't act like the victim."

Minho couldn't help to smile lightly, though it soon disappeared. "You don't say much about yourself, do you?"

"Or I'm just not in love with myself."
I was quite satisfied with my response.

Minho gave me an offended glare, then grinned.
"Newt's not in love with himself." He leaned in and whispered, "he's in love with Thomas."

"I am not!" Newt protested, his accent making it ten times funnier.

"Definitely is," Minho said proudly. "But you can't blame me for being in love with myself."

"Did you just admit that you're- wow, Minho." Newt exhaled deeply.

"At least I admit." Minho grinned, his eyes twinkling and his mouth moving into a crooked smile. "Anyone got some food?"

"We're low on food."
Newt didn't talk with much emotion, which I got. Who wouldn't be sad if you didn't have food? I loved food!

I grabbed an old piece of meat out of my bag. It was cold, but not raw, at least. "Here."

Minho stared at it with wide, amazed eyes. "Fry, you got some competition!" He gasped, snapping the food out of my hands. "Where'd you get this?"

"Hunt on an animal and then cook it. Not that hard." I explained. "Can't you dumb boys think for once?"

"I spent three years living with a bunch of dumb shanks who are all in love with each other, so yes, I think my mind is pretty damaged after that." Minho crossed his arms, making his biceps very visible. "Alright. You and I are gonna hunt and Fry's gonna cook. Aris will help and Thomas and Newt will-."

Newt slammed his hand on Minho's mouth. "Don't finish that sentence."

Frypan turned around and put his hands on his hips. "Why did you decide Lena and you are gonna hunt together?"

"Because obviously I'm the strongest one here and I think Lena is able to use a bow a little, tiny bit," Minho said before he rushed away so he walked in front of the group.

Frypan grinned and followed him, taking a look at Minho's face which he averted in the first place. "Minho's blushing!" Frypan announced.

"I'm not, you idiotic, slintheaded son of a-."

"Minho, calm down with our cook," Newt warned.

"Oh, of course, sir the Second-in-command." Minho mimicked.

"I'm fine by hunting with him if he doesn't fuck it up and gets me killed." I blurted out, also blushing, but out of shame.

"Noted," Minho commented, Frypan grinning deeply. He whispered something to Aris, who hesitantly nodded.

Thomas sighed and looked at the sky. "Tomorrow you two lovebirds can-."

Minho coughed loudly.

"Tomorrow you two... people, can go hunting." Thomas corrected. "We'll make a fire and try to catch some sleep for now."

~

And just like Thomas said, we sat around a self-made fire, using our bags as pillows. Minho threw some stones into the fire as if he was bored while we just lay there.

"This is a little different than a bed," I murmured, trying to get comfortable.

"Well, get used to it, love." Newt laughed kindly, but Minho's head snapped right toward Newt.

"Love?" He spat the words out like they were poison on his tongue. "Do not call her that."

"It's a normal nickname for me," Newt explained calmly, very sure of his case. "Means nothing to me, also."

Minho gave him a cold stare. "But still."

Frypan chuckled from his place. "I'm hoping 'Lee' means nothing to you either, Minho?"

"What?" His face fell. "I never called her that."

I scoffed, knowing damn well Minho called me that this morning. Liar. And it didn't make me happy at all, let alone feel admired by Minho.

"Don't shuckin' deny. I heard you call her that." Frypan said. "Though she doesn't seem very flattered by any of the nicknames. So Lena, tell us.. what would you like the be called?"

I hummed, acting thoughtful.
"I'd like Cutie Patootie, Baby Doll, or Boo-boo Bear."

All the Gladers except for Minho burst out laughing, especially pointing at Minho's absurd face.

"Maybe just call me Lena." I eventually added. Because indeed, as Frypan said, I wasn't flattered by any of the nicknames.

"I don't know 'bout you guys, but I'm going to sleep." I yawned and turned my back to the boys, my eyes soon closing.