041

"Psst! Lena!" Sounded from my right. Little me's eyes spat open immediately.

"It's my birthday." I realized in a whisper.

Astrid, my sister who was twelve, laughed. "Happy birthday, Len! Mom and Dad are still asleep."

I hugged my sister, happy I finally turned six. "Let's go!" I peeped and ran through the house, toward our parents.

Little me jumped on their bed excitedly. "Mom! Dad! It's my birthday!"

Birthdays were my favorite thing at that point. Not only my birthday but any birthday. They were fun, presents were involved, and you got to talk to everyone.

My mother started to wake up by us. She was a beautiful woman. Her hair was brown, lighter than mine. She was a bit chubby, but I loved that. My dad in fact was skinny, with his hair completely black. Both of them were super kind, especially toward their kids.

"Happy birthday, honey." They laughed, slowly getting off the bed. "Ready for some presents?"

I clapped my hands. "Yes, please!" 

Always be polite, that was the one thing our parents were the most stern about. 

The four of us walked downstairs. On the table lay a few wrapped presents. Young me stared at them with wide eyes. I was so excited.

"Alright. Open up." My dad sat down on the couch. I took a present and sat on his lap, wrapping it open.

"Ooh!" I gasped. A bracelet was in there. The letter 'L' was in the middle of it, surrounded by pink and grey beads. 

Astrid blushed. "I made that one myself." 

"It's beautiful." I complimented. "Can someone put it on, please?"

My dad did as he was asked, which I thanked him for happily. Then I went on with the next present. It was a game to play with exactly five people.

"Maybe we can invite someone over to play it with us." My mom suggested.

"Thank you!" I laughed. The happiness I felt was amazing. A few more thank you's were shared, and soon the presents were all opened, I thought, at least.

"We got one more present for you, sweetie." My mom said mysteriously. She grabbed something out of the hallway. It was a big cardboard box. She put it on my lap and told me to open it carefully, which I did.

And then my mouth fell open. In the box was a very tiny, white cat. The animal miaowed at me, its bright blue eyes twinkling.

"Is it a girl or a boy?" Young me took the cat out of the box, even happier than before. Cats were my favorite animals, and I had begged to get one countless times.. and now I had one!

"A girl," Astrid explained proudly. "What are you gonna name her?"

"Hmmm." I hummed. "Minnie."

"Minnie?" My sister smiled. "From Minnie Mouse?"

I nodded and started playing with Minnie. I had never felt happier. Everything was perfect. I had amazing parents and a very kind sister, along with a cat named after my favorite character. 

And all that got ruined when there was one single knock on the door. 

"I'll open it." My dad decided as he got up to welcome the person at the door. I only paid attention to Minnie, until there was a scream, followed by a gunshot.

Minnie flinched and jumped off my lap. Another scream echoed through the house, but that one was mine. In the hallway lay my dad with a bullet in his head. A pool of blood was on the ground. Tears already started to stream down my face at that horrible sight. 

"Dad!" I screamed, voice full of agony. It went so fast, yet it was slow enough for me to realize I just lost my dad. The one that taught me to be polite, and how to ride a bike. The one that helped me with everything.

"Astrid, Lena! Get behind me!" My mom yelled when multiple men dressed in black uniforms ran into our house. My mom moved in front of us protectively, but a second after she did, she fell to the ground.

Blood flowed out of her head as it spat onto the walls and me. I screamed again, dropping down next to my mom. Astrid and I sobbed loudly, not even caring about the guards anymore until they grabbed me.

"Let me go!" I screamed, all my happiness fading away. I kicked and punched, but they could easily lift me over their shoulder. 

I made eye contact with Astrid. She mouthed that it would be okay, and surprisingly enough, the uniformed guys left her alone. Her body was bloody from holding my mom, but she never let go.

I sobbed even louder, feeling my world fall apart. Then they pushed me into a dark car, where the windows were black. 

And that's when I decided I hated birthdays, not knowing what horror I was brought into yet.