010

"Break?" Frypan suggested Jorge after walking for quite a while. It was still dark, after all. We had to get to the city we planned on going to before.

"Only because you need your baby naps." Jorge mimicked while he lay down himself.

"Seems like you need it more than us, old man," Minho muttered. I smiled and closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep soon, but didn't.

"Can we make a fire?" I suggested, but no one replied. All asleep, I thought. Great.

I sighed and lay back down, trying badly to get comfortable by using my bag as a pillow and jacket as a blanket, but nights in the Scorch were so cold!

A groan escaped from Minho's mouth. "Everything alright?"

"Yep." I swallowed. "Just a little cold."

"Yeah, well, I can't control the weather." Minho turned his head to me from a few feet away.

I scoffed and took some more tries to drift off, but I just couldn't.
"Get over here, Lee." Minho then ordered.

My full attention was drawn to him now. "What?"

Minho patted on the empty spot next to him. "Here."

Hesitantly and almost embarrassed, I moved over to him, lying there uncomfortably, staring at the sky with wide eyes.

"Pretty cool, isn't it?" I blurted out.

"What?"

"The stars." I motioned at the beautiful sight of dozens of stars in the dark blue sky. "They're beautiful."

Minho mumbled something I didn't understand, so also didn't ask about it.
As I watched the sky, my hands were freezing. All the nights had been cold, but this one felt even colder for sure.

Out of a sudden, both of Minho's large hands wrapped around my cold one. His body temperature was surprisingly warm compared to mine.

I almost forgot how to think straight when he did that, so then I realized it. I was definitely in love with Minho. Shit.

"What was the Glade really like?" I soon questioned, hoping to break the tension between us.

"I spent most of my time locked up there in the maze, so it's hard." Minho bit his lip. "I wasn't there during the day, but I think it was pretty calm in the Glade."

I smiled. "I mean what it was like for you, not the others."

"Oh." Minho laughed quietly. "Well, I didn't find the maze that scary." He started, I raised my eyebrows. "Okay, it was pretty scary." He admitted. "But after all those months of running, it became a habit."

"The running or how you felt about the maze?"

"Both," Minho confirmed. "I still run and I think all the Gladers were frightened of the maze while I wasn't."

I nodded. "Did the Grievers ever hurt you?"

"No. I'm too strong for that." One corner of his mouth went up, forming the familiar crooked smile.

"Mhm." I chuckled. "But you did see them, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Definitely." Minho replied. "We fought them in the end. One of them jumped on top of me."

My face fell. "How the hell did you survive that?"

Minho turned his head to the sky again. "A friend sacrificed himself."

Only that broke me but also made me realize how close and loyal the Gladers were to each other. I never really experienced that. "I'm sorry about that," I whispered.