023

We all got pushed down on our knees in lines. Guards scanned our necks and called out our subject number. I tried to resist once they got to me, but it didn't work.

"A0." He called out.

Janson, who by now stepped out of a Berg, immediately spun around and stared at me. I already hated to see him.. wanted to hurt him for hurting everyone, but all I could do was obey their orders.

"The one and only Lenora." He grinned and told me to walk over to him, which I ended up doing. He gave me another rude smile before kneeing me right in the stomach.

I groaned louder than I normally would've reacted, probably because of the bruises that were already there. Minho protested and tried to fight the guards that held him off, but they were too strong.

Janson pulled me up by the shirt and held my ear close to his mouth, whispering, "It surprises me you hang out with them. Didn't you tell them, Lenora? Or should I say... Lena?"

I tried to fight him off, but two guards already jumped in action to grab me by the shoulders.
"Bring her in!" Janson commanded someone. "Where's Thomas?" He then added.

It fell silent for a bit, until Thomas appeared behind the whole crowd.  "Right here."

"Freeze!" A guard held him tightly, leading him to Janson, who greeted him the same way as me. A kick in the stomach.

"Get him in line." He said once he was done. Me, they never let go of.

Another Berg flew over the Haven, sending dust everywhere. The vehicle was bigger than other Bergs and when the giant doors opened, Ava Paige appeared. I used to have a love-hate relationship with her, but now all I saw was a cruel woman.

"Is this all of them?" She asked.

"Most of them." Janson nodded. "It'll be enough."

"Start loading them in."

"Yes, ma'am."

Guards started taking kids from the lines, but not me. They kept holding me, facing Janson and Ava.

"Hello, Thomas." She motioned for the kid to walk over to her. "I'm glad you're safe."

Suddenly, and I didn't know where from, Teresa stood next to her. The Gladers didn't hesitate to get up and walk over to Thomas.

"What the hell?"

"Teresa?"

"Wait, what's going on?"

Thomas looked down. "She's with them."

It didn't shock me at all. Of course she didn't care about what she did to Thomas!

"Since when?"

"Teresa's always had an evolved appreciation of the greater good," Janson spoke up, grinning again. "Once we restored her memories, it was only a matter of time."

Tears stood in Teresa's eyes. "I'm sorry. I had no choice. This is the only way. We have to find a cure."

"She's right," Ava added quickly... and so fake. "This is all just a means to an end. You used to understand that, Thomas. No matter what you think of me... I am not a monster. I'm a doctor. I swore an oath to find a cure! No matter the cost. I just need more time."

"More blood." Mary's familiar, calming voice replied.

"Hello, Mary." Ava gave her a nod. "I hoped we'd meet again. I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances."

"I'm sorry about a lot of things, too. But not this. At least my conscience is clear."
The way she stood there so bravely made me like her even more. Maybe even love.. she had always been a sort of mom figure once mine got killed.