016

A/N: Most things that happen in this chapter happened in the books, so yeah, just wanted to warn you :)

~

We were walking through the woods the next morning, Minho and I hand in hand, until Thomas suddenly stopped dead in his tracks.

"Holy shit!" Minho screamed when he bumped into him with full force, but Thomas didn't move an inch.

I squeezed my eyes closer together, focusing on a long-haired figure walking over to us. I guessed it was a girl. In her hands, she held a long shaft of wood with a large, nasty-looking blade lashed to one end.

No one spoke and I had not a single idea who this girl was and why she walked over to us so threateningly, seeming to be ready to stab the first thing that moved.

Thomas took a step forward, but when on both sides of the girl appeared even more girls, he stopped again. We were surrounded by at least twenty girls. They all held weapons.. from knives to swords and machetes. Even bows and arrows were included, which made me feel so.. sick, like my power of using a bow got washed away.

Minho spoke first, of course. "What's this crap about, Teresa? Nice way to greet your long-lost buddies."

Teresa. I remembered that name. I knew the girl and heard Thomas say it. At that name, Brenda and Newt threw a sharp glance at Thomas, almost making me snicker. He had pulled some people for sure.

The girl, Teresa, didn't answer the question, just moved some of her long, dark hair out of her face. Then she walked over to us, stopping about ten feet from me, Newt, and Minho.

"Teresa?" Newt asked. "What the bloody-."

"Shut up." Teresa interrupted. She didn't snap or yell it. She said it calmly, which frightened me even more.

I didn't care about my broken hand and just moved my hand up to the bow on my back.

"And any of you makes a move, the bows start shooting," Teresa added.

I cleared my throat. "You are moving, so can I shoot?"

She gave me a very nasty glance before bringing her spear up and swinging it around. She passed us all, sharing long glances until she arrived in front of Thomas. The boy was clearly confused as hell.

"Teresa." He whispered, but nothing more came out of his mouth as Teresa kept staring at him. Her face didn't say much more than anger.

"Teresa, what's-."

"Shut up." She repeated in the same calm tone.

"But what-."

Teresa swung the bladeless end of her spear at Thomas' cheek. He fell onto the ground, groaning quietly. It scared the hell out of me. I thought Teresa was their friend! My friend. But I guessed she didn't even remember.

She pulled Thomas up by the shirt and pointed her weapon at him again. "Is your name Thomas?"

"You know who I-." Thomas got cut off by her hitting the side of his head with the spear again, luckily not with the blade, though. Thomas cried out and reached for his head, but he didn't fall this time.

"You know who I am!" He screamed at her.

"I used to, anyway." Her tone was both soft and disgusted. "Now I'm going to ask you one more time. Is your name Thomas?"

"Yes!" Thomas yelled. "My name is Thomas!"

Teresa nodded and put the blade of her spear on Thomas' chest. The girls surround us closer.

"You're coming with us," Teresa called out. "Thomas. Come on. Remember, anyone tries something, the arrows fly."

"No way!" Minho yelled. "You're not taking him anywhere."

Teresa acted as if she never heard him and squinted her eyes at Thomas. "This isn't some stupid game. I'm going to start counting. Every time I hit a multiple of five, we'll kill one of you with an arrow. We'll do it until Thomas is the only one left, then we'll take him anyway. It's up to you."

Minho moved in front of me protectively, but I didn't approve and stepped next to him, not wanting a bitch like that to control us.

Aris was acting strange in the meanwhile. He kept turning in slow circles, staring at the girls one by one as if he knew them well.

The realization hit me. Aris was in group B, and I knew group B was full of girls. He knew them all.

"One!" Teresa shouted. It almost made me flinch.

Thomas didn't let that slide and walked closer to Teresa, ignoring our comments for him to stop.

"Fine." He said bravely. "Take me."

"I only made it to one."

"Yeah. And I'm really brave that way." Thomas replied.

She hit him with her spear, so hard that Thomas dropped to the ground again. He spat, blood splattering onto the dirt.

"Bring the bag," Teresa ordered. A blonde girl and a dark-haired girl walked toward Thomas.

"We're taking him with us!" Teresa yelled. "If anybody follows, I'll hit him again and we'll start shooting you."

So badly I wished I could shoot and hit that girl, but then the others would shoot us.

"Teresa!" Minho's voice. "You catch the Flare that quickly? Your mind's obviously gone already."

Her spear smashed against the back of Thomas' head. "Anything else you wanna say?" She asked. After a few seconds of silence, she talked again, "Didn't think so. Put the bag over him."

Hands roughly grabbed Thomas his shoulders and spun him onto his back, making him wince. Then the bag slid over his head.

"Better just go along and let us kill you. Doesn't do any good to have a lot of pain along the way." The blonde snapped.

Then they started dragging the boy away. And I knew...
I knew I wasn't gonna leave him behind. I would go after them, no matter if I had a chance of getting hurt.

Thomas meant much to Minho;
Thomas meant much to me.