045

A/N: Sorry if these parts are boring, but I can assure Minho will be introduced soon!! What do you think so far, by the way?

~

The next morning, I was pushed into a black car. The windows were covered, so I couldn't look outside. Janson sat next to me, and weapons were in the back, along with uniformed men.

"We're going to a house," Janson explained. "And take a kid. A girl, to be specific. But the parents won't cooperate. Do you want to know why, Lenora?"

"Yes."

"They're bad people." He continued. "They did bad things... and they belong in prison, or worse, capital punishment."

My eyes widened in pure fear. "Why are you sending me to those people? I can die!"

Janson shook his head, laughing for some reason. "They're not that strong, kid. They might've stole, and killed, but everyone can do that once they get a gun."

"They have a gun?" My mouth fell open.

"Look... we found out they're in the basement, hiding their daughter from us. But I can assure you we will make sure she's safe. The parents are violent, and if they catch the Flare, it could be even worse for the daughter. Got that?"

I swallowed deeply. "Yes. But what do I do?"

"We brought your bow. You're gonna get the kid away from the parents, and if necessary, kill them."

I froze right in my place, not hearing anything else Janson said. Kill people? I can't kill people. I didn't exist to do that... I wasn't a killer!

"I won't kill them." It came out of my mouth as barely a whisper. I stared straight forward, feeling Janson's eyes focusing on me. "I'm not a killer."

"Look, these parents are killers, so it won't make you such a bad person, Lenora." He said blankly.

In shock, one single tear ran down my cheek. "Why don't you do it?" I whispered. "Why send me?"

"Because you're small." Janson started. "You will knock on the door... hopefully they'll open up. Make a cute little act, pretend you're lost, then reveal your bow and shoot. Once that's done, you yell for us, we run in, and take the kid."

Panic rose in my chest. "But what if they kill me? What about the gun?"

"They won't kill an amazing, little girl like you, Lenora." He chuckled.

"Amazing?" I questioned quietly, my eyebrows scrunching. "I'm not amazing."

"Yes, you are!" Janson smiled brightly. "You're helping us a lot. You're helping with getting a cure, saving these kids... without you, we would never succeed. You are amazing."

I eventually just nodded. His words gave me a slight feeling of power. I was helping them, and that was the most important.

"But..." Janson then added. His voice turned less soft. "We don't have much time to bring all these kids in. We have to hurry, and it's gonna be a lot to handle. Because we will have to take at least three kids a day, Lenora. You know the map, so you know other kids live close to the girl we're taking now."

"Are all these parents bad?"
It scared me. My parents were amazing people, so how come that many parents were bad? Criminals?

"Sadly, yes." He sighed deeply. "And again, I will assure you we'll get them safe, just like you. You're safe."

Slowly I relaxed my body, hoping to forget most of the fear I had. I was doing the right thing, and those kids deserved better. It would be fine.

About half an hour later, the car stopped. I took a deep breath before following Janson outside. It was snowing, to my surprise. Beautiful snowflakes trickled down on the neighborhood's ground. The houses around me weren't the biggest I had ever seen, but it seemed a nice place to live, actually.