038

"Fry!" I ran over to the boy once I saw him, wrapping my arms around him tightly.

Laughing, he looked around once I let go. We had to wait for the others in Lawrence's building. I didn't exactly know who the guy was, only that he was fighting WICKED.

"Where are the others?" Frypan frowned.

I sighed. "They said they would be here soon. But Newt can't move properly."

"Brenda, are you there?" Suddenly came from a walkie-talkie. She jumped up and started listening to Thomas, while I listened too.

"Thomas, I'm here," Brenda assured. "You okay?"

Thomas hesitated. "We're not gonna make it."

That was all I understood from the conversation. The rest was already blurred from me. I balled my fists, knowing I would go back to the city if it was necessary. Because I couldn't lose them.

After a few minutes, when tears stood in my eyes, a loud noise interrupted. I immediately knew it was a Berg and ran outside, just like everyone.

"Just look for us near the tunnels," Brenda told Thomas before she put the device away. Jorge stepped out of the Berg, grinning deeply. Another man followed him.

"Vince?"

He laughed. "Hey, it's good to see you too."

Brenda turned to Jorge, gasping. "Yeah, I know. I picked up a stray." Jorge added. "Let's get out of here, all right?"

"We're not done yet." Brenda shook her head. "Thomas is still inside."

"Well, let's go get him then."

~

Once we got out of the Berg, we waited at the edge of the city, inside the walls. So badly I wanted to go to the others, but knew it was dangerous and that it would take hours to find them in such a giant city.

"Brenda! Lena!" A familiar voice called out. "Where's the serum?"

"Minho!" I yelped. Gally stood next to him, but Thomas and Newt didn't. They weren't there at all, which made me realize things were really going wrong with Newt.

Brenda went for the run, and soon I followed. We ran past flying cars, bullets, explosions, and lots of other dangerous things.

"Watch out!" Minho, Gally, and I were a few feet behind Brenda when a car almost hit us, but she kept running. And so badly I hoped she would make it.

"Come on!" Gally encouraged. As we ran he covered for us, shooting anyone in our way.

I pushed my feet as fast as I could, knowing Newt's life could depend on it. But when I turned around a corner, I stopped right in my dead tracks.

Newt lay there on the ground of a more abounded place, a knife stabbed in his chest.

Slowly it got through my head. Newt was dead. My best friend... Minho's best friend.

Everyone looked at him for a few seconds, tears forming in our eyes.

Minho broke down on his knees next to Newt as a scream coming from my mouth in pure agony echoed through the city.

I dropped onto my knees too, staring at Newt. The normally invisible veins on his face were black, and liquid painted his chin black too.

I sobbed loudly, slowly feeling my heart break even more. I should've hugged him longer, because I wasn't ready. I had expected Newt to live.

"Lena," Minho whispered, the tears in his eyes very visible. He made a head movement toward Newt. "Listen."

And that I did. We were in complete silence, and that's when I heard it. Very quiet and ragged breaths escaped Newt's mouth now and then.