030

A/N: 30 chapters already, Tysm!! I hope you're all still enjoying it! Tips are always welcome ❤️

Also, this chapter is inspired by Divergent a little bit :)
And the Hunger Games if you haven't noticed, haha.

~

Blackness was all I saw in the first seconds. Wind hit my face hard and my ears got clogged, as if I was underwater. I groaned and slowly opened my eyes, the sky appearing above me along with a paper flying through the air.

I didn't hesitate to grab it, not knowing where I was and not looking under me yet. Then I read the note.

This isn't real, it's a hallucination. You will be facing your worst fears. Fight them off and make it through. Good luck.

That was all it said. My worst fears, I thought, but couldn't think of anything else than heights, which explained the first thing... I turned my head, staring down at the ground that was at least seven hundred feet away from me.

I gasped, the deep fear immediately washing over me, especially when I realized I lay on a thin, wooden, and unstable bridge. I cried out, but forced myself to just listen to the note and not act like the victim.

With my heart pounding so hard I thought it would jump out of my chest, I go on my feet. I had nothing to hold on to; the bridge didn't have a handrail.

It was placed on top of two grey buildings. I took a deep breath and started walking, hoping not to fall through the beams. Slowly I made my way to one of the buildings. The wood screeched scarily and I knew I would be dead if I fell.

I didn't realize it in the first seconds, but a figure appeared on the building, staring at me. I furrowed my eyebrows and squeezed my eyes closer together to see who it was.

"Newt?" I gasped. He didn't reply and stepped onto the bridge. His steps toward me were rough enough to make the bridge swing everywhere. I let out a yelp and tried to keep my balance, but Newt almost jumping on the wood, made me fall.

I screamed, my hand catching a beam right before I fell into the abyss. "Newt, help!" I cried out. My hands were already sweaty from fear, and clinging to a height like this only made it worse.

Breathing heavily, Newt stopped in front of me. He didn't bother to help me up, in fact, he looked raging. "You killed my parents."

"Newt, I-"

"You killed them all!" Newt yelled. "And now you're gonna pay."

"Wait, N-" I cut myself off by screaming at the top of my lungs when Newt pushed me off the bridge.

One of the Gladers killing me for what I did, I realized. That was one of the fears I didn't know I had before, though now I definitely got why I secretly feared it.

I fell toward the invisible ground. I went through clouds and felt the wind hit me so hard, it almost cut through my skin. I squeezed my eyes shut, expecting to die by hitting the ground sometime, but instead, all I felt was a soft bump.

My eyes fluttered open again. A certain smell filled my nose, metal, like blood. The soft thing under me changed into a cold floor, signing me to get up, which I did.

Now I was in a dark, and empty room. One light lit it up slightly. Black walls surrounded me and the room wasn't bigger than two elevators.

Another breeze flew through me, but surprisingly enough, I could see it. It was grey steam, slowly forming into a figure. A few whispers I couldn't understand echoed through the room. Confused I twisted and turned, searching for whoever talked.