Chapter 1

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Peat's POV

I was on my way home from school when I noticed a moving van parked across the street from my house.

The moving van workers were unloading furniture, appliances and big boxes with labels from the van and onto the front yard of the house from across mine.

Finally, that house which had been empty for almost a year now was going to have a resident. Finally, we were going to have a new neighbor. I fervently hoped that the new owners of that house had a son of my age with whom I could be friends.

I pressed the buzzer on my gate and our housekeeper unlocked the gate and let me in.

"Have you been practicing with your soccer team again?" she asked, sniffing my shirt.

"Yes," I said, feeling the perspiration on my back.

"You better take a shower before coming down to dinner," she advised. "Your mother will not allow you to sit at table smelling with sweat."

"What are we having for dinner?" I asked.

"Calamari steak and garden salad," she replied.

"What can I have in place of garden salad?" I asked.

"Papaya salad," she replied.

"I'm having that then," I said before running upstairs to my room.

I took my time in the shower. I liked to feel the warm spray from the large shower head which had water rushing out like rain drenching my whole body.

I did not bother to blow dry my hair. I went downstairs with my hair barely dried by the quick sweep of my towel around my head.

My parents were already at the table when I reached the dining room.

I greeted them with a quick kiss on their cheek.

"We should invite him over for a welcome dinner," my father was saying as I took my usual spot at table.

"Invite who, dad?" I asked.

"Our new neighbor across the street," my dad replied.

"Do they have a son my age?" I asked in a hopeful tone.

"No," my dad replied. "I heard that our new neighbor is a bachelor who lives by himself. He's the new chief financial officer of the corporate offices of the Dandelion Group here in Bangkok."

I frowned in disappointment. I had been so looking forward to having a new friend in our neighborhood because all my friends at school lived far from my house.

Oh well, I thought, better luck next time, and squeezed the sliced lemon over my calamari steak before cutting off a piece from it.

I excused myself from the table as soon as I finished dinner. I was not interested in the conversation between my parents which was almost always about their business.

I went up to my room and opened my backpack to start working on my school assignments.

I went to bed after finishing my homework, forgetting to set my alarm for the next day.

I was awakened by the loud knocking on my door.

I stumbled to my door and opened it.

"Your mom wants to know if you're sick," the housekeeper said.

"Why?" I asked.

"It's way past the time that you usually leave for school," she replied.

Oh shit, I had forgotten to set my alarm last night.

I quickly got into my school uniform. I grabbed my backpack and ran down the stairs. I would have to skip breakfast if I didn't want to miss the bus that would take me to school.

I ran across the street recklessly. I would have reached the other side if not for the loud screech of tires behind me.

The car stopped to a standstill and the driver got out of the car.

"Do you live in that house across from mine?" he asked, looking me up and down.

"Yes, sir," I replied. "I'm sorry I didn't see your car because I was rushing to catch my bus."

"Can I offer you a ride to school?" he asked. "It's on my way to work."

"That would be fantastic!" I replied happily.

"Get into my car then," he said