Chapter 4

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Fourth's POV

After school since it was a Friday, Peat and Gemini and myself decided to hang out at Peat's house.  I suggested to Gemini and Peat to just walk the few blocks from our school to Peat's house instead of taking the bus. Anyway our PE class had been canceled because our soccer coach had caught the flu bug. Walking the few blocks would give our bodies the exercise that we missed from PE.

Fortunately the other two agreed and we swapped jokes and anecdotes during our walk. We even sang our favorite songs together. Things would have been okay if Peat had not insisted on singing at the top of his voice.

We were passing the last block before reaching Peat's house when a fierce bulldog suddenly rushed to the fence of one of the houses, barking loudly at us. Thankfully the dog could not jump high enough to be able to jump into the street.

Peat made barking noises at the dog and so the dog barked even louder.

"The dog is trying to tell you to stop singing because he cannot stand your voice," I teased Peat. "He noticed that you are singing out of tune."

Peat gave me a smack upside my head. Gemini just laughed inside of taking my side.

Soon we reached Peat's house and the housekeeper let us in after we buzzed at the gate.

"Your mother has prepared some apple turnovers and cold drinks for all of you because she's expecting you this afternoon," the housekeeper announced to us.

"Cool!" we all chorused happily.

We all greeted Peat's mom upon entering the house.

"Leave your backpacks in the living room and come to the dining room," said Peat's mom. "I have prepared some treats for you."

We thanked Peat's mom after we ate the snacks that she had prepared for us.

"Can they come up to my room?" Peat asked his mom.

"Sure," Peat's mom replied. "Are you guys staying for dinner?"

"Will it be okay with you if we did?" Gemini asked.

"Of course," Peat's mom replied. "As long as your parents have given their permission."

Gemini and myself immediately got busy calling our moms. Since Gemini and I were next door neighbors, Gemini's mom was going to pick him and me up after dinner.

The three of us had a lot of fun playing video games, trying to outdo each other.

Soon the housekeeper knocked at Peat's door to announce that dinner was ready.

We greeted Peat's father who was already seated at the head of the table when we entered the dining room.

The housekeeper served us a large platter of Vietnamese steamed rice paper rolls with spicy ground pork in it. The pork rice paper rolls were topped with crushed roasted peanuts and bean sprouts.

During dinner, Peat recounted how their new neighbor had given him a ride to school earlier in the morning thus sparing him from being late to school.

"We still haven't given him a welcome dish," Peat's mother remarked.

Peat's father turned to the housekeeper.

"Are there any extra Vietnamese rice paper rolls that you can serve on another platter?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," the housekeeper replied. "I can prepare it now."

"Very well," Peat's father said before turning to Peat. "Be a good boy and ran over to the neighbor's gate and offer him a platter of these Vietnamese pork rice paper rolls."

"I can do it!" Gemini and I rose quickly from our chairs at the exact same time.

"You heard my father," Peat protested. "I am going to be the one to offer the welcome dish to our new neighbor."

"Why don't you all go together," Peat's mother said, to solve the issue.

Peat was not happy about the solution but had to agree with his mother.

"Does your neighbor have a dog?" I asked Peat anxiously, not wanting to be confronted by a possibly ferocious dog.

"I haven't seen or heard one yet," Peat replied as we made our way across the street to the neighbor's gate.

I pressed the buzzer when we got to the neighbor's gate.

"Good evening," Peat said to the male housekeeper who opened the gate. "My name is Peat. I live across the street. My mom sent me to give this welcome dish to Mister... Mister... "

"Mr. Kaewbumrung." the housekeeper supplied the name of Peat's neighbor.

Suddenly the porch light went on... and the man of our dreams, yes, Peat's and Gemini's and mine, stepped out into the driveway.