Chapter 20

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

At the risk of getting mobbed by the unruly students, Thanawat slowly drove his car to the shoulder of the road and turned off the engine.

He stepped out of the car and went to apologize to the kids.

"Hey, kids, I'm really sorry ..." Thanawat started to stay.

"Don't call us kids, you bloody bastard!" one of them met him halfway across the curb side. "We are high school seniors! We will be college students in a few months!"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry for not being a hundred percent attentive to the road... "

Thud!

A blow to his solar plexus made Thanawat lose his balance and he hit the cement, scraping his elbow badly in his effort not to let his head hit the hard surface.

"Stop!" Peat yelled and pulled back one of his classmates who was about to give Thanawat another blow to the face this time.

"Ohmygahd it's Nawat!" Fourth exclaimed upon recognizing Thanawat.

Fourth and Gemini and Peat helped Thanawat to his feet.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Gemini was full of concern upon seeing Thanawat's bloody elbow.

"Will you be able to continue driving yourself safely home?" Fourth asked.

"I think so," Thanawat said grimacing as he tried to cradle his affected elbow with the palm of his other hand.

"Can I give you kids a ride home?" Thanawat asked the three boys.

All three boys frowned at Thanawat's question.

"I mean..." Thanawat tried to correct his second mistake. "Sorry I know I shouldn't be referring to you as kids. It's only because I'm much older than you so I tend to look on you as kids."

"Gemini and I will not be able to ride with you," Fourth explained. "Our houses are out of your way. But you can give Peat a ride because he's your neighbor."

Thanawat turned to Peat.

"Can I ..."

"Sure," Peat replied without hesitation.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school," Peat said to Fourth and Gemini before climbing into the front passenger seat.

"See you!" Fourth and Gemini chimed as they waved Peat away.

"Where is your boyfriend? What happened to him?" Peat asked as soon as Thanawat climbed into the driver's seat.

Thanawat pursed his lips as he started the engine. He was not inclined to answer Peat's question but he knew that the kid would not stop pestering him unless he gave an answer.

"First of all, he's not my boyfriend, let me make that clear to you," Thanawat said.

"Your ex boyfriend then," Peat insisted.

Thanawat pursed his lips once more, feeling a bit uncomfortable.

"Where is he now?" Peat asked. "He was sitting beside you in this car this morning as you drove off to work."

Wow this kid would make a good detective.

"His boyfriend picked him up from my office building this afternoon," Thanawat replied.

Before Peat could many any further remark, Thanawat added, "And he won't ever be coming back to see me again."

"Good," Peat said under his breath.

"What did you say?" Thanawat asked.

"Nothing," Peat replied.

The rest of the trip was made in silence.

As they neared their houses, Peat said, "Your elbow wound should be cleaned and treated. I can do it for you. First aid class was one of my electives this semester."

"It's okay, I can ask my housekeeper to do it for me," said Thanawat. "I have a first aid kit at home."

"Your housekeeper is not a trained first aid giver," Peat said firmly.

Peat refused to get out of the car when Thanawat slowed down and stopped his car in front of Peat's gate.

"Please," Peat insisted. "Let me treat your elbow wound."

Thanawat let out a sigh. This kid was truly determined to have his way.

"Let me call your father first to let him know... "

Peat grabbed Thanawat's phone.

"You don't have to do that," Peat said not bothering to hide the irritation in his voice. "My parents trust my decisions. They know that I'm old enough to make mature decisions."

Thanawat studied Peat, uncertainty written all over Thanawat's face.

Oh well, where was the harm. Thanawat could always ask his housekeeper to stand guard beside him throughout the treatment process on his wound.

"Let's go then," Thanawat said, starting the engine and pressing his remote to open the gate to his driveway.

"What happened to you?" Pete the housekeeper greeted his master when Thanawat walked into the living room cradling his bleeding elbow.

Pete eyed Peat suspiciously when Peat walked into the living room behind Thanawat.

Pete recognized Peat as the kid next door who had delivered some food to Thanawat one evening together with two friends.

"Why is he here?" Pete could not help asking his master.

"He has kindly offered to treat my wound," Thanawat replied.

"No need for him to do so," the housekeeper said walking quickly towards Thanawat's bathroom to fetch the first aid kit. "I can do it for you."

"I tried to tell him," Thanawat said to Pete when Pete came back to the living room.

Peat grabbed the first aid kit from Pete.

"Sit down," Peat commanded Thanawat, motioning towards the sofa.

Thanawat did so obediently forgetting that it was a high school kid who was talking to him.

Peat turned to Pete.

"You may leave us now," Peat said firmly.

"No!" said a panicked Thanawat. "Pete, stay right here with me."

For some reason Thanawat felt nervous being left alone with Peat.