CYNO LOSES A GAME OF CARDS

Cyno's reputation turned out to have made its way to even the most remote places, and we ain't talking here about his reputation as a mahamatra.

It somehow crawled its way up to the icy depths of the north, and the knowledge was brought back down south with the soldiers of the Tenth Army's 24th Unit, as a grueling assignment sent them into the sandy dunes of Sumeru.

Entirely unbeknownst to Cyno, of course. Though he liked to think that everyone feared him because of his Casket of Tomes, not his polearm. It was a more cheery thought, and Cyno was all about thaaat.

Now, have you ever seen the desert? It's big. Gigantic. Humongous. All that. But of course of course of course, Cyno met the unit marching through, because if he didn't this would be a really boring story.

At the head of their formation was- well, I would call him a striking figure, because that's a good adjective- but he really wasn't. He wore all plain, boring grey clothes, plus a red scarf. Who wears a scarf in the desert? His ginger hair would likely have stuck out in any other setting, but here were hidden in the red sands.

Cyno saw them. He waved suspiciously, but like, he didn't act like he was suspicious of them, so actually he waved amiably.

The leader waved back and then cut to the chase. "We're lost."

"Where are you going?" Cyno asked once he was close enough to cease his steps.

The guy shrugged. "You see, we had a map. But then we lost it. And we thought, well, we can ask our way there, but our destination was on the map and no one remembers what it was called."

"I can show you the way to Aaru Village, and you can go from there," Cyno said slowly, "On one condition."

Ginger dude perked up. "A fight?"

"Um. A... kind of fight." Cyno began. He decided he was tired of work.

Then he gestured bizarrely and dramatically, taking out his cards (and dropping half but shhh).

"I challenge you to a DUEL!" He shouted. He dropped the rest of his cards.

igotstuckonthispartforsomereasonsoskipaheadtowhenthey'replayingehe

(I'll be a competent writer later once I get more sleep)

Cyno believed now to be the perfect time for his ultra-secret confusion tactic. He made eye contact with his opponent.

"Why can't pirates play cards?" he said suddenly.

Ginger raised an eyebrow quizzically but said nothing. Cyno cleared his throat. "They're standing on the deck."

No response, as usual. Cyno began to explain it.

But Ginger wasn't going to lose a single fight in any form to this kid. He cut Cyno off with his own distraction.

"I got something sticky on my cards. I'm having a hard time dealing with it."

Cyno was shocked. Naturally.

Eventually it became clear they were down to the final few turns. The mahamatra was clearly winning; he was hyperfocused on his cards when Ginger spoke again. "So, this Aaru Village. It's nearby?"

He nodded. Ginger's expression didn't move an inch. "Looks like you came from there, no?"

Cyno nodded again. Then he slowly drew a card from his hand and was about to play it when-

BOOM.

Childe shot a huge blast of water in his direction. The cards went flying. His were probably ruined, but not Cyno's, 'cause Cyno has those fancy shiny waterproof ones that probably shouldn't exist in Teyvat.

Childe jumped up and pointed to the direction Cyno had first emerged. "I win! That way! Go go go!" he yelled.

The soldiers skedaddled. As Cyno got up, Childe shouted over his shoulder as he ran, "Great game! Let's fight someday!"

So yeah, now you know the General Mahamatra's fatal weakness. Good for you.

The End.