SUCROSE WINS THE LOTTERY (PT 1)

It started as a joke, really. Eula knew the odds; she knew it was hardly more than a scam. So did Amber.

When Amber bought Eula a ticket for her birthday, they both laughed it off. Well, Eula's reaction wasn't much of a laugh. More a dignified snort, if you will. She's not the greatest at laughing.

It went without saying that Eula didn't bother to attend the winner announcement at the church; it also went without saying that when she was declared the winner, no one showed up to claim the prize.

Seated and waiting at the embellished table above the pews, Jean groaned. The sun was setting. She'd sent knights to Eula's residence three hours ago to fetch her, and again two hours ago when the first had returned to relay that Eula "didn't care" and told the knights to keep the mora.

Which was totally and utterly against the tradition of presenting the prize at the church and just did not work, because the public would accuse the knights of swindling the public by selling tickets for nothing.

Besides, the lottery didn't have the greatest of reputations, not after last year's. It had gone to some guy named Albert; he was caught a month later installing high-tech camera software in the church and was promptly arrested.

Most of the Mondstadters in the pews had left hours ago, muttering angrily under their breath about how no one wants to "watch a rich person get richer." Which was fair, Jean has to admit.

"If Eula doesn't show up in the next ten minutes," she whispered, "I'm handing this check to the next person that walks by."

The Cavalry Captain, who sat next to her, proffered his hand and wiggled his eyebrows. Jean rolled her eyes. "Not you," she said, "You'd spend so much at the Share that Diluc will be able to buy another mansion."

The last person in the pews, a lady who clearly had nothing better to do today, got up and left. Jean slammed her hands on the table. "That's it! I'm done!"

She whipped her head around and saw no one; the sisters had cleared the church for the lottery and were busy cleaning statues of the seven.

Suddenly she heard a door opening behind her and Sucrose walked in, precariously balancing several boxes labeled Holy Water with both hands. She dumped them in a corner and turned to leave.

"Good afternoon, Sucrose." Jean said wearily.

The alchemist jumped, surprised. "Grand- um- Grandmaster Jean? You're... still here?"

Jean sighed. "Unfortunately. Come here for a moment, Sucrose, if you don't mind."

She approached them timidly. Jean held out the check. "Here. Take it."

The girl's eyes widened when she read the amount. "Isn't... isn't that Eula's, Grandmaster? The tradition dictates..."

"She doesn't want it," Jean replied impatiently. "And to hell with tradition. You can have it, spend it on whatever you want, just get it out of my sight. Please," she added.

Sucrose paused, but realized Jean wasn't kidding. "Alright. The lab could use some new equipment anyways..."

DUN DUN DAAAAAAA

STAY TUNED