XINGQIU BREAKS THE FOURTH WALL

The shopkeeper of Wanwen Bookhouse was a usually pretty chill person, Xingqiu had noticed. Well– except for today. Today she looked like she was about to murder someone. He shuffled over to the farthest part of the bookhouse from her before she murdered him.

Xingqiu leaned over to the person perusing the shelves beside him, an old friend. "What's up with her?"

"I don't know," the friend whispered back. "Maybe one of her favourite characters was killed off?"

Ten minutes later, the glaring was still there, and the books Xingqiu was looking for were clearly not. "Ah, I'll come back later. What are you looking for?" he added.

"Jerry Snotter."

"Which one? I have the entire series at home."

"Wow, all fifty-eight? I'm looking for Jerry Snotter and the Oscillating Bean."

Xingqiu nodded, excited. "Come with me, you can borrow it for a while!"

They tiptoed out of the back door before Jifang had a chance to commit homicide.

Xingqiu beelined for his massive bookshelf the moment he stepped past the door. He pulled out the book and proffered it to his friend, who took it gratefully.

His expression changed after he skimmed the first few pages. "This series is making less and less sense... the author should just wrap it up."

"Yeah," Xingqiu admitted, "It's been getting worse and worse. When something gets too long, they should just end it instead of dragging it out with cliches and sideplots..."

He looks over at you. "Don't you agree?"