Prologue

Kings Landings had not seen a storm this bad in over two decades. The howling of the wind sounded like an enraged dragon. The common folk of Kings Landings were hiding as best they could. Even the gold cloaks refused to go out in this kind of weather. It appeared they had done something to anger the Gods. The storm has been raging for over twelve hours.

Inside the Red Keep, all the habitants could hear the crown princess's screams. Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen had gone into labor when the storm started. The maesters kept talking between themselves, saying how that baby was cursed. The first two people who said the words out loud lost their heads to Prince Daemon. He would not allow anyone to speak badly about his wife and children. He also knew where the rumors came from. Otto Hightower was trying to undermine Rhaenyra's power as heir and this was his latest attempt. Another scream rattled the walls and Daemon looked up at his brother, who looked like he might faint at any moment. Daemon had been in the room for the first few hours, but then Rhaenyra had kicked him out of the chambers. Another scream was heard and Daemon could have sworn they were getting weaker. He slammed the doors open and walked in, ignoring the people attempting to stop him.

"What is happening?" He walked closer to the bed and tried not to throw up at all the blood. He was a warrior and he had seen more bloodshed than most other people. But this was his wife and soulmate. The woman he loved more than anything. He looked at the midwife "Why is the birth not progressing?"

"I'm sorry my prince. The princess is getting tired and is not pushing too hard." She looked at the maesters and then in a lower voice "They want to talk to the king about other options"

"What other options?" He knew what she was saying, but he wanted to hear the words before he started beheading people once more "What do they want to do exactly?"

"They say that the baby won't come without help and want to cut open the princess" A red haze descended and he gripped Dark Sister's hilt. Several people were about to lose their lives. Before he could take a step the midwife was standing closer to him "My prince, the princess is about to give birth. We just need the maesters to allow us to tend to her."

"All of you get out" The entire room was silent. The two midwives tending Rhaenyra, kept working on her, while the maesters looked at each other, then at him. He took a step forward "Did you not hear me? I said get the fuck out. If I have to say it again my sword will taste blood."

When the maesters just stood there Daemon started walking towards them. He looked menacing and they knew he was more than capable of following through with his threat. Daemon could see the fear in their eyes. The three maesters ran to the door. Daemon slammed the door close and then walked back to his wife. He took her hand and felt her squeeze his fingers with surprising strength. The midwife was asking her to push when she glared at him.

"I hate you. This is all your fault" He bit his lip to stop himself from smiling. He was sure that his little wife would kill him if he dare to smile at her threat. "You will never touch me again"

She just kept screaming and crushing his hand. He had never prayed so much in his life. He was sure he would lose his mind when Rhaenyra gave the loudest scream he had heard from her and then it was silent for a moment. Daemon looked toward the midwife and saw a small body in her hands. He held his breath for what appeared to be hours when a loud cry filled the room.

"Congratulations princess, my prince. Is a girl."

The midwife handed the babe to Rhaenyra. He could not tear his eyes away from her. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and she was so small. He could see that Rhaenyra was just as much in love with their daughter as he was. He heard the midwife say something, but could not tell what it was. All he could see was his daughter. Rhaenyra handed her to him and for a moment he was afraid that he would crush her. The babe opened her tiny mouth, almost as if she was yawning, and stretched her little arms. She had the same white blonde hair as Rhaenyra and when she opened his eyes, they were the same violet as his. That was also when Daemon realized that the storm had stopped. He know Otto would try and use this to make the people fear them. But that was something he would worry about later.

While Rhaenyra and the midwife took care of the afterbirth, the other midwife took the babe from his arms and cleaned her. Daemon spent his time observing both his wife and daughter. He wanted to make sure nothing would happen to them. Once the midwives left them alone, he made sure the chamber doors were barred. He knew that he would have to let his brother and his cunt of a wife see his daughter, but for now, he was happy that it was just the three of them.

"We should pick a name" Daemon looked at his wife. They had talked about names but had decided to wait until the babe was born before picking one. Daemon smiled "I know you have always wanted to name your daughter Visenya"

"Yes, but somehow the name does not seem to fit her. She will be the queen one day. She will need a mighty name, worthy of her legacy."

"What about Deirys?" Daemon touched his daughter's small hand and smiled when she grasped one of his fingers. "She will be as mighty as her namesake. A warrior and the head of our family one day."

"Deirys Targaryen. We can't wait to see the many ways the gods will bless you little one."