Chapter 36

Aemond goes to see his mother. Alicent convinces her children to let her make amends. Deirys and Aemond have a family dinner. Things do not go well. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Aemond took a deep breath before opening the doors to his mother's chambers. She was sitting at the table, reading a book. She looked like the old Alicent, her green dress was impeccable, her hair was styled and she looked clean. Aemond and his mother always had a turbulent relationship but he did not wish her any harm. The guards closed the doors behind him and his mother finally looked up, she smiled when she saw him.
"Aemond." She stood up and hugged him. "I am so happy you are here."
"I am glad you are doing better." It had been a fortnight since Deirys and he had returned from Dragonstone, and this was the first time he had come to see her. He had checked with Helaena every day and made sure his mother was doing well, it wasn't until Helaena had told him his mother was asking to see him that he decided to finally come and see her. He hugged his mother back and then took a step back. "Helaena says you are feeling calmer and have been eating regularly once more."
"Yes, your sister has been keeping me company. She has brought me books and delicious sweets." His mother sat down and pointed to the chair across from her. Once he was sitting her face changed and became more serious. "I wanted to apologize for what happened at your wedding feast. I cannot believe I attacked your bride in front of everyone."
"Yes, it was not your finest hour, but you did not do any real harm." She had almost ruined his wedding day, but Deirys had not dwelled on it, she had insisted he checked on his mother and had been very patient, covering for him when he left the feast early. "I made sure the maester checked on you and gave you something to help you sleep."
"Yes, the maesters have been taking good care of me. I have been feeling much better since they have been helping me."
"I am glad." He looked around the room, noticing all the new things that had been added. Helaena had brought in more comfortable furniture, and there were an incredible amount of pillows on the bed. "Are you allowed to leave your chambers yet?"
"No, your father has the guards take me to the gardens a few hours a day so I can get some fresh air." She shrugged. "He wants to make sure I am not a danger to myself or his other family."
"There is no other family, mother. We are all one family, especially now that Deirys is my wife."
"Yes, that is what I meant." Her face was apologetic. "That is what I wanted to speak to you about. I would like to prepare a special dinner and invite you and your wife. I will also invite the rest of the family. I want to try and make amends for how horrible I have been to all of you."
"That sounds good." Aemond was sure his smile was more pained than happy, but he had not expected his mother's request. "When were you planning to have this dinner?"
"Tomorrow if possible. Helaena has agreed to help me prepare everything."
"I will talk to Deirys." He did not know how his mother expected to convince everyone to show up at this dinner she was planning, especially after the last few things she had done.
Aemond spoke to his mother for a few more minutes before leaving her. Helaena was waiting for him at the end of the hall once more. She looked a bit nervous and he knew she was afraid of his reaction to his mother's proposal. His sister had been working hard to help their mother.
"I know she just surprised you with this, and I should have told you, but." Helaena did not even give him a chance to say anything before she started rambling. "She has been trying really hard to get better, and I think if she shows our father she regrets what she did then he will allow her out of her chambers without guards."
"You do not have to apologize Helaena." He threw an arm around her shoulders and lead her towards her chambers. "I will talk to Deirys, I am sure once I explain what the situation is she will agree."
"Thank you Aemond." She looked relieved and less nervous now. "I know you are just starting your marriage and you have a lot of responsibilities with your position on the small council and your work with the gold cloaks, but I am hoping things will work out with our mother, just like they are getting better with our father."
"What do you mean things are getting better with our father?"
"Since the day after your wedding, he has been trying to get closer to us." She gave him a small smile. "I and the children have been having supper with him every other day. He is very interested in Jaehaerys training."
"That is well. I am happy he has been trying to be closer to you and his other grandchildren."
"What are you doing to be closer to our father?"
"Nothing, I do not believe it is my job to make him feel better about what he did to us." Helaena opened her mouth, but Aemond just shook his head. "I am happy you are becoming closer to our father and that he finally decided to show an interest in his other children, but that does not excuse what he did to us for so many years. I am not obligated to forgive him or make him feel better."
Aemond kissed his sister's forehead and left her in front of her chamber doors. He needed to find his wife and attempt to convince her to attend this crazy dinner with his mother. Hopefully, things would go well and his mother truly regretted her actions.
**************************************************************************