Chapter 45

Rhaegon and Aemond enact Rhaegon's plan, not everything goes as well as they hoped. The entire family receives some bad news they were not expecting. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

                                                      Rhaegon Targaryen (18 years old

                                                      Rhaegon Targaryen (18 years old.)

Aemond ran a hand over his hair and swallowed the sigh attempting to escape his lips, he hated this plan. Why had he agreed to dye his hair black? He felt and looked strange. He pulled the hood lover over his head and glared at Rhaegon, who just smirked at him. Aemond was also having trouble recognizing his own nephew, his hair was just as black as his. They made their way to the citadel, people moving around, not paying attention to them. Aemond could feel Vhagar, she was high up in the sky, staying out of sight, just like Meraxes. Both dragons waiting for their riders' command. On the other side of the wall, Baelon and Gaelithox were wreaking havoc on one of the smaller villages. They had made sure to move all the people living in the village to a safe place and made sure to pay them for the loss of their homes. Daemon would be sending for builders to make sure the people would have their houses built as quickly as possible. The good thing about Gaelithox burning the village to the ground was that it made for a great distraction, which is exactly what they needed since they were sneaking into the Citadel.
There were no guards at the doors, once they made it inside the building it appeared to be empty. There were no people around, but Aemond had seen several maesters in one of the higher balconies looking towards where Baelon and Gaelithox were burning things. Rhaegon moved around one of the pillars looking around the tables and the books scattered over them. Several of the chamber doors were wide open and Aemond could see none of the chambers were occupied. Rhaegon indicated one of the spiral staircases to their left and Aemond nodded. They climbed the stairs as quietly as possible, Aemond looked around and all of a sudden he felt someone grabbing him and pulling him behind one of the pillars. He reached for his dagger and felt a hand stop him. He looked behind him to see Rhaegon shaking his head, holding a finger against his lips. Rhaegon gestured with his head and Aemond looked to the side, noticing two maesters were walking towards them. The first maester was focused on the large book in his hands, while the second one seemed to be lost in his thoughts. Once the two men walked past them Rhaegon waited until the first man was a bit farther away before he put a hand over the second man's mouth and pulled him into one of the chambers. Aemond followed and saw Rhaegon slam the man against a wall, a dagger pressed to his throat. The man's eyes widened, but Aemond did not see any recognition in them.
"I am so glad you agreed to speak with us." Rhaegon's voice was low and menacing, Aemond snorted at his choice of words. "I will uncover your mouth and if you scream or do anything to give us away, I will slit your throat before anyone can come to your aid."
The man nodded frantically and Rhaegon moved his hand. The man looked terrified, and his eyes moved to Aemond when he stepped closer to them.
"We want to know where everyone is." Aemond also made sure to keep his voice low. "I am sure it is not usually this empty in here."
"Some of the maesters are in a meeting with the high Septon." The maester attempted to move, but Rhaegon kept him pinned to the wall. "Some of the other maesters are on one of the balconies, they want to see the extent of the damage that dragon out there is causing."
"Well, do not worry about the dragon out there." Rhaegon's smile was scary. "You should be more worried about the dragons in here."
"You are.." The maester was now looking terrified.
"Yes, I am Prince Rhaegon Targaryen and this is my uncle, Prince Aemond Targaryen." Aemond nodded at the maester. "And I cannot tell you what a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance. Now, what is your name."
"I am maester Harald Barler, my princes." The maester looked to Aemond and then back to Rhaegon. "How did you both get in here?"
"That is not how this works." Aemond moved until he was standing next to his nephew, both of them facing the other man. "We will be the ones asking the questions. Now, where is this meeting taking place?"
"They are in the main chamber on the top floor." The man answered fearfully.
"How many are present in this meeting?" Asked Aemond.
"There are twelve people present." The man swallowed, looking down at the dagger pressed against his throat. "Including the high Septon."
"Good." Rhaegon finally took the dagger away from the man's throat but kept a hand on his chest. Aemond saw his expression become questioning. "Why are there only twelve people at the meeting? Are maesters usually excluded from them?"
"Is not the usual, but since the army arrived at our gates the high septon has been meeting with these elven maesters for hours every day." Rhaegon and Aemond frowned.
"Why these specific maesters?" Aemond was the one who was confused now. "Are they higher in rank than other maesters here?"
"No, not all of them." Maester Harald was the one frowning now. "Actually some of them are lower in rank than some of the maesters here."
"Maester Harald, you are going to show my nephew where this meeting is taking place." Aemond waited until the maester nodded. "I also want you to tell me where the high Septon chambers are."
Aemond made sure no one saw him while he made his way to the high septon's chambers. The high septon was too smart to keep incriminating documents out in the open. He would also make sure that he could blackmail the people that try to turn against him. There was a reason the man had kept his position for so many years. Aemond closed the door behind him, and looked around, the chambers were in perfect order. He walked over to the desk first, looking over the papers on top of the desk, it was nothing incriminating, just things about the faith. After opening every single drawer he stopped himself from slamming his fists against the wall. There had to be something in here, he could feel it on his bones. Aemond heard yelling and steel clashing, apparently the rest of their forces had decided to make an appearance.
Aemond moved around the room once more and closer to the bookshelf that covered the entire far wall. All the books were in perfect order. Aemond took a step back looking at the bookshelf in front of him critically, then he noticed one of the books did not match the other ones. Aemond pulled the book out and looked behind it, looking at the small latch that had been hidden. He pulled on the latch and heard something click, the noticed a corner of the shelve was sticking out. Aemond pulled the shelve back and realized it was a door. There was a small chamber behind the shelve and Aemond's eyes widened when he saw what was inside. They had written the names of several members of his family on one of the walls. It took him a moment to realize that all the names on the wall were of people that were already dead. There were several books scattered over a small table and another table had maps on it. The maps were of several different keeps, including the Red Keep. Aemond opened one of the books and read a few pages, it was a journal. The high Septon had written down the names of the maesters working against his family, most of the maesters were already in Kings Landing, some were at the Citadel and there were a few in different keeps, including Casterly Rock.
Aemond heard a dragon roaring and the ground shook, he walked out of the hidden chamber, still holding the journal he had been reading. Apparently, Caraxes was tired of waiting and had set one of the buildings on fire. Aemond looked out one of the windows and saw several people running. He hated how the faith had used the same people they were supposed to protect to hold back an army. None of the civilians had any fighting experience, it would have been a massacre, except that Aemond and Daemon had made sure to tell their forces the civilians were to be left alone unless they attacked them. Their forces were doing a pretty good job of getting the civilians out of the city. Aemond heard the door behind him open and turned, sword in hand to see Rhaegon run in. His nephew looked around the chambers, eyes widening when he notice him close to the window.
Aemond opened his mouth to ask what was wrong when Rhaegon ran to him at full speed. His nephew crashed into him at the same time an explosion made the entire building shake and they were both flying in the air, the window glass behind them breaking and both men flew out of the window. Aemond had the sensation of falling, he saw green at the edge of his vision and then a huge shadow was over both of them before everything turned black.
*************************************************************